Saturday, February 4, 2012

He's Always Watching

I'm not talking about God here, although He, too, is always watching.

I'm talking about my little man.


Lately I've discovered just how in tuned to everything Tristan is.

He used to just be a "blob," as Aaron called him. Just there. Unaware of anything and everything.

But, I can now see his little brain working. He's associating things, remembering things, discovering things. He is always watching.

Even in the most mindless of activities, like while I'm watching TV and he's in my arms, he's staring up at my face. He doesn't know what the TV is. He just knows is mama's face, and so he stares.

A couple times, in fact, not having a clue in the world while watching a show, I look down to find him smiling at me! Smiling!

Melt me into a puddle of goo, why don't you?

When in the room, he follows me with his eyes.

When changing his diaper, his focus doesn't leave my face.

While doing anything with him in my arms, he doesn't care what it is that I'm doing. He just stares at my face.

How I wish life wasn't so busy that I could just stare back at him all day.


And, as he watches and stares, it made me realize that even though he's only two months old, the discoveries and observations he's making may already be making an impact on him. Very slight impact, but still. He can probably sense happiness and joy, just as he can sense anger and frustration. He can probably understand that loud laughter is different than loud yelling.

So, just as with Ella, I am going to make a conscious effort to put into his world goodness, for the most important lessons in a child's life are caught, not taught. And, other than the germs that this family seems to be sharing (we're constantly battling colds right now), I vow to be a good role model to Tristan. And, I hope to help Ella understand the importance that she will have in Tristan's life, for as an older sibling, there will be no greater role model in this little man's life, than her.

Because, when Tristan's not watching Aaron or me, you better believe he has his little baby blues glued onto big sister. :)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have totally noticed this with Chloe, though she's a few months older. Now her fascination is with our dogs and her eyes follow them wherever they go. I just wonder what she is thinking. It's so amazing to watch our children explore the world.

Anonymous said...

hi!!!

Jessica White said...

It's amazing how intense they are at such a young age. The pictures in your other post are adorable!