Monday, August 5, 2013

Raising A 6-going-on-16 Year Old

Ella Corinne Johnson.  You melt my heart into a puddle of goo with the warm look of your chocolate brown eyes in one second, and the very next you have me trying to clear my head so that I can, as calmly as I can, get through to you!


Isn't there a saying that you get what you give?  My mom was always so sure that I would have a daughter just like me to provide me with a glimpse to what I put her through.  If that's the case...I'm sorry, mom!  I guess it is true...you're always right! ;)

Ella knows how to push buttons...and not just one at a time...but rather like a toddler banging on a keyboard!  She's relentless, strong-willed, and determined.  If we don't see eye-to-eye with her, she does everything in her power to convince us that she is right.  She's stubborn and has to have things her way.  Compromise is not an option when she's in her mood.

And, although such a difficult little girl, I know that God has molded her into the person she is for a reason.  I pray that her strong-willed attitude will guide her through difficult moments in life where a weaker person who is less sure of themselves would crack.  Ella will not crack.

Ella has a big heart and a lot of passion - she is filled with integrity and honesty.  I think these traits go hand-in-hand with that of being strong-willed.  She doesn't coat her feelings.  When she wants something, she wants that something with all her mind and heart, and she is unable to deter from that.  She wears her heart on her sleeve (much like her mama!) and there is never any second guessing how she is feeling.  She lets everybody know!  ;)

Ella's confidence shines in the most unique circumstances.  The other day I was sitting on our front porch watching Ella glide her scooter around our neighborhood starting conversations with every single neighbor she saw.  And, not just a quick "hello, goodbye," but a fun conversation.  She has charisma!  She makes others laugh and shows maturity beyond her years.  Ella's quiet confidence makes me proud and humbles me at the same time.

Ella's strong will is difficult to parent, but is so advantageous when it comes to practicing something.  Whether it be homework or ballet or perfecting a cartwheel, Ella does not accept anything but less than perfect and she is self-motivated in achieving her very best.  She works hard.  She doesn't get down on herself, but looks to what she is trying to achieve and keeps going.

Everyday is a new experience with Ella - some moments Aaron and I are completely amazed with how respectful and courteous she is, but then there are those moments, which happen more frequently than we'd like, where we have to take a deep breath and repetitively remind her of our expectations for her.  We use the word "kind" often.  If what you're about to say isn't kind, then don't say it.  If what you are about to do is not kind, don't do it.  We remind her how kind and sweet she is and that we expect her to act in such a way.

Some days require more patience than others, but as with all our efforts in raising our little girl, our perseverance and consistency will pay off.  And, I am so sure that someday we will look back at these days of raising a 6-going-on-16 year old and remember them as being a piece of cake as compared to the REAL 16-year old Ella.  Lord, have mercy!

The bottom line is that we hope that with our unconditional love and devotion to our daughter that she will continue to make good choices in life, choices that will bring her happiness.

After all, isn't every parents wish for their children to be happy?

No comments: