I was instructed to supplemental my breast milk with formula and have Tristan lay in the sun as much as possible. Formula helps the bile be expelled from the body, since it makes the baby poop more. And sun contains Vitamin D, which the baby's body needs.
So, we did just that, but the following day, his bilirubin level increased slightly to 19.5. We then followed the same protocol, but this time was instructed to completely eliminate breast milk and just feed Tristan formula. I guess breast fed babies are more likely to get jaundice, and the breast milk was also keeping the jaundice from going away.
But, unfortunately, the next day his level climbed to 20.5, with 21 being the minimum level before having to be admitted to the hospital.
Because he was so close to reaching that level the morning of December 8th, his pediatrician had him do another test that afternoon, which showed that his bilirubin increased to 21.7.
We knew what that meant...pack our bags, we're going to the hospital! :(
Once we got to the hospital Thursday evening, additional blood work was done on Tristan and it revealed that his numbers climbed even more to 22.8 in just a few short hours. I was very thankful to be at the hospital and getting him treatment.
He stayed at the hospital two nights. I stayed with Tristan the first night, Aaron the second. We were given a private room, which was really nice.
The first night was so awful. Tristan and I literally got an hour of sleep. Not even joking! He kept tossing and turning, grunting and fussing, crying and crying. He was so used to being swaddled and in the comfort of our home, and being naked and fully exposed with no blankets was just too uncomfortable for him.
Perhaps the worst part was because Tristan was so dehydrated (which is a symptom of this disease), it took three nurses over two hours to finally get the IV in. Poor little guy has bruises and blood spots all over his arms, hands, legs and feet from this, and his multiple blood draws. Breaks my heart.
See that large cast? That's his IV. :( There is serious protection around that IV so that a baby can't yank it out.
So, I stayed up with him, trying to comfort him. He would turn his head to my voice. I laid my hand under his head to help him feel some love and security. I pat his belly. I did everything in my power to help him out, without being able to hold him, nurse him or soothe him. I was also constantly fixing his goggles so that the rays wouldn't blind him. That was hard because every time he moved his head, they would slide.
Doesn't he look absolutely miserable? Poor baby. :(
After twelve hours of being under the ultraviolet lights and on an IV to keep him hydrated, his levels dropped to 12.3! His doctor said to expect levels around 16 or 17 after the first twelve hours, so he was really surprised his numbers dropped so drastically. He hardly ever sees that. Tristan's a champ, that's why! And, the power of prayer is real and awesome! Praise God!
The doctor ordered for him to stay under the lights for another twelve hours, though. Poor little guy. 24 hours straight with no Mommy or Daddy lovin', no cuddles and no "love love" (as I like to call it). His numbers dropped to 8.4 by Friday night.
Tristan had to stay an additional twelve hours, but this time with comfort. The ultraviolet lights switched off, clothes and blankets came on and Tristan got to sleep soundly and swaddled with Daddy by his side. Ella and I went home, and you better believe I enjoyed that solid night's sleep after being up all night the night before.
Ella was so happy when she finally got to hold Tristan. Ella's proud, joyful smile is worth a thousand words in this picture.
Tristan was discharged Saturday morning with a bilirubin level of 7.5!
Tristan is doing really well now. His energy is back and is way more alert (well, alert for a newborn, that is). His skin tone is healthy, no more orange/yellow look to it. The whites of his eyes are white, and not yellow. And, he just seems so much happier and lively. So good to have my son back!
11 comments:
He looks so sad under those lights! Glad he is home and doing better!
Sweet sweet baby :) I hope he is doing better now.
Oh those pictures just break my heart! I can't imagine how hard that was for you. I'm so glad he is home and doing well!
So glad everything is going well. What a tough couple of nights.
I'm so sorry you are going through this! His numbers sound much better though- thankfully! My thoughts are with you.
Oh how difficult it must have been to sit there with him but not be able to hold him. I am so glad this is over with and everybody is happy & healthy once again. :)
How scary! I'm so glad to hear that things worked out though!
Lots of love xoxox
Congratulations on your little miracle! So glad he is doing better! What a cutie!
Visiting from LFCA
We had a similar struggle with Little K, which ended up being the trigger that sent me into PPD. So glad he is home and doing better. Take care of yourself!
Praise the Lord! Glad he's doing better and is home where he belongs! Love the picture of Ella and Tristan.
So happy to hear he is doing better!!
Post a Comment