Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pass the Glucose Test or Bust

And, well, I bust.

I got my results this past week at my monthly ultrasound appointment and my numbers came in at 133. My doctor doesn't like to see anything above 130, so I wasn't that far off, but the ideal range is somewhere between 90 and 110. I know...yikes!

And, honestly, I felt like something was off. I have been exceptionally tired lately (which, translates, into moody...right, honey?). I feel the sugar high and the immediate sugar crash. I have to eat every couple hours, which is normal (I think) for a pregnant woman in her third trimester, and although my snacks have been okay (yogurt, granola bar, almonds, etc.), with an occasional unhealthy alternative, my main meals have not been.

My doctor would not like me to eat cereal in the morning anymore, due to the hidden sugar in it. He would also like me to limit my bread intake. I have been eating A LOT of bread. Sour dough bread, in particular. And, even though I make veggie sandwiches with the bread, I'm still eating more than I should.

And, perhaps the biggest adjustment is eating more protein. He doesn't think I'm getting enough in my diet. And, he's probably right. I'm not really a meat eater, and I don't think I've been making proper substitutions to account for that. If I eat more protein, I will stay filled up longer, and I won't go through the vicious sugar high / sugar crash cycle.

So, instead of my usual veggie sandwich on sourdough bread, I'm now forcing myself to eat an egg / turkey sandwich on wheat.

And, because I didn't pass the 1-hour glucose test, I have to take the 3-hour glucose test this Wednesday.

Lord, have mercy, Wednesday morning is going to be rough.

First off, the three days leading up to my test (so today, tomorrow and Tuesday), I have to eat what I usually would, but then I have to add one item from each of the following groups:

Group #1:

  • 2 slices of bread
  • 1 cup of cooked rice
  • 1 cup of cooked noodles
  • 2 corn tortillas
Group #2:
  • 10 oz. of apple juice
  • 8 oz. of grape juice
  • 2 small bananas
  • 16 oz. of orange juice
So, today I ate my usual meals and snack foods, and added 2 slices of bread and a tall glass of apple juice.

I have to fast for 8 hours prior to my test, which isn't a big deal when the test is scheduled for first thing in the morning. When I arrive, I have my first blood draw of the morning before drinking the oh-so-tasty glucose solution. Once I drink the glucose solution, I then have to have blood draws at exactly 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours past consumption.

4 blood draws in 3 hours!!!

I am so not looking forward to Wednesday morning, and I pray my body doesn't fail me again.

7 comments:

Hillary said...

I'll be praying for good results on Tuesday!

xoxoxo

Life Happens said...

I barely passed my test too when I was preggo with Matthew. Needless to say, I ended up with GD later in the pregnancy. The upside was I only gained about 10 lbs the entire pregnancy!

I hope you pass on Wednesday with flying colors!

Jessica White said...

Ahh...poop!

Praying you pass the 3 hour and don't have to think about it again.

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

So sorry you have to do the 3 hour! I'm really keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to. My glucose test is on Thursday. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed you do well!!

Angie said...

Prayers for the best news ever! I hope Wednesday goes smoothly for you.

Radiant Readhead said...

I pray you pass!! because trust me, GD is NO FUN!!! I keep telling myself I only have 4 more weeks of poking myself and eating all that protein! 4 more weeks...lol. luckily mine is diet controlled....hope you pass!!!!

Coakley's Journey said...

I hope you pass. Mine is on the 29th. Not looking forward to it...