Ella starts kindergarten on Monday.
*Gulp*
Once you give birth to a child, there are certain days you dread. You make a mental note on how hard those days will be, but undeniably tell yourself that it won't happen to you. And, I cannot believe how quickly the first day of kindergarten as crept up on me.
Over the past couple years, as Ella was going to pre-school, I kept reminding myself about how the first day of kindergarten will go down in the books as one of the hardest days of my near 5-year mommyhood. I was dreading this day with all my heart. And now, I must face this day on Monday!
But, somehow, this past week, God has been comforting me. Reminding me that I'll be okay.
Even when my over-the-top, hyper-sensitive pregnancy hormones cause this already emotional woman to be even more emotional about this day, God has been comforting me.
Comfort #1:
I find out that Ella's teacher was my sister's kindergarten teacher 20 years ago! Knowing how much Sister loved Mrs. Sutterly completely comforts me. It's hard to just leave your child in a classroom, not knowing anybody, but yet trusting everybody...including the teacher. And, although questioning the integrity and "awesomeness" of a teacher isn't something we should do, a protective parent can't help but think, "Do you really have my child's best interest at heart? Will you love on her, even if she's having an off day? Will you treat her with respect, even though she's so little?"
Comfort #2:
Aaron is a special ed. teacher. His first day of teaching isn't until Thursday, August 18th, but we were both under the impression that he was contracted to go to his classroom Monday through Wednesday anyway. Well, it turns out Monday and Tuesday are non-contracted days. He's not required to go to his classroom.
You know what that means?
He will be able to come with me to drop Ella off on her first day of school! God knows how much I need that support. My mom had offered to come with me, but there's nothing like the strong arms of my husband to cling onto as I hold back tears.
Comfort #3:
During Ella's meet-and-greet at school today, where the parents, kids and teachers hang out in the classroom and meet one another, I recognized one of the moms just as she recognized me, and we immediately drifted to each other. It was little Brooklin's mom! Brooklin was in Ella's old dance class, AWANA, VBS and they go to church together. She is the sweetest little girl. And, how refreshing and absolutely comforting to know she's in Ella's class. Ella kept commenting that she won't know anybody in kindergarten and that she's "very nervous, but I'll be brave and strong." And, the second she saw Brooklin, her tightly-gripped, clammy hand didn't grip my finger as tightly.
"Brooklin! Hi Brooklin! I'm so happy to see you!"
Brookin's mom said that her daughter was also very nervous about kindergarten, but that she's so relieved that she'll know somebody. :)
So, as you can see, God has been cleverly wrapping his comforting arms around me, just as I will be doing to Ella on Monday. I have to be strong for Ella. She is a mini-me in all areas, and if I'm upset, she will reflect such. I want her to begin her kindergarten year happy and excited, and I'm prayerfully getting to the point that maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to drop her off with a huge smile.
And only cry in the car.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Those are all great things! Good luck getting through Monday, I hope it goes well :)
so so so sweet to read this! I am a teacher-to-be (couple more years of school...) and it is humbling and refreshing to hear the parents' point of view of the first day. Praying for you and your sweet family!
How truly wonderful and such a blessing....all 3! I half wonder if my wanting to home school is to avoid the first day of kindergarten :-P
I have to agree....there's nothing quite like a husband to share in something that is hard for both of you...moms are great, but not the same.
Honestly, Bobbi, I see nothing wrong with questioning the integrity and awesomeness of a teacher: God put US, the parents, in charge of raising our children. It is our God-given duty to make sure that those who will be teaching/training our children are the best, and while not a substitute for a parent, they do in part need to be able to love on them and care for our children.
*HUGS* I'm so glad you guys are receiving such comfort and blessings from Him!
I am so glad your husband gets to go with you. How comforting! Glad she already has a friend in her class and I am sure she will make many more! I will be thinking of you on Monday :)
Post a Comment