I almost lost it when we sat her down at her table in the cafeteria and she started digging through her lunch.
She quietly sat there, observing everyone and everything. Not shy, but confident. Not scared, but brave. She was amazingly strong! We sat across from her and watched our little girl nibble her peanut butter and honey sandwich amidst all these big kids, forcing us to see that she really is ready. Even though this mom isn't ready, she is!
Saying goodbye to her was so hard. It took every once of strength (which wasn't a lot) to not cry in front of her. My eyes got glazed, but I was wearing my glasses, so I think that helped hide them. We hugged her so tight, telling her how proud we were of her and for her to have fun. She's just like, "I love you! See you later!" Totally fine. Totally okay with us leaving her in this unfamiliar environment. Her strength surely made it easier for me to let her go.
As we walked away, I just grabbed Aaron's hand. Tight. With tears flowing down. Aaron then started crying. So, I'm sure we made quite the scene walking back to our car, hand in hand, sobbing like babies (well, I was - Aaron just had "man tears"). We turned around as we walked through the cafeteria doors. I couldn't see her, which was for the best, but Aaron said she was just sitting there, eating. Not looking back to see where we went. Oh, Ella. You're so great. You're so strong.
I was so excited to pick her up! Like, Christmas morning excited, and she was my gift that I was waiting to walk through her classroom door. She spotted Aaron first, and walked right over to him and said, "I had a really great day!" She was all smiles and very excited to let us know about some fun details of her first day.
I chose not to "embarrass" her by loving all over her, but I just wanted to pick her up and smother her with kisses and hugs. Instead, I just knelt down, gave her a tight squeeze, and just smiled as she talked about her day. When we got home, though, and I helped her out of the car, she gave me the longest hug. Telling me that she loved me. So, even though she's unbelievably strong, with that hug, I realized that she did miss me and needs me, just like I missed her and need her, too.
To think, I'll go through this all over again in 5 years with Tristan. I'm already praying for strength! :)












12 comments:
OMW! You've got me crying. Ha! I can't believe how grown up she looks. And just adorable as ever :)
I already know I'm going to be a basket case when Bryson starts. They might even have to commit me. HA :)
How sweet! I love how your husband even shedded 'man tears.' LOL.
Ella is beautiful!
LOL!! you guys are too adorable. I cannot wait to read the post where you drop Ella off at her college dorm.
She is just absolutely precious!!! And she does look so grown up with the back pack on. Glad y'all got through the day :)
What a sweet and adorable little girl!! You must have raised her to be strong and confident- good job mom!
Congrats on making it through the first day of school! I'm so glad to hear that she enjoyed it soo much!
xoxox
You have such a beautiful little girl. Congratulations on making it through her first day of kindergarten! And looks like you will have many more "firsts" to look forward to with your son. :)
Glad you all survived the day. She was incredible strong and looks so grown up too.
The first day of kindergarten I was fine...the second day, I ran out of the classroom, down the hall, and out the front doors after my mom, begging her not to leave me there.
I hope the second day went as well as Ella's first.
Ok, I've never experienced this before but your words have me feeling like I just went through it myself-tears in my eyes and all!
You have such a beautiful daughter-congrats on her first day of school! :)
She's so cute! I haven't been around much so congrats on a BOY!
So so sweet! She will ALWAYS need u. I'm 30 and still need my mum!!!
She is so darn cute! Love that personality! Glad all went well.
Post a Comment