Saturday, August 6, 2011

How the Nursery is Coming Along

Before becoming pregnant, I had big plans for our future baby's nursery. Big plans!

I envisioned this elaborate room with every detail perfected. Each little detail serving a purpose towards the ambience of the entire room.

I planned on painting the room the perfect color.

I planned on buying the entire crib, dresser and changing table set. All matching perfectly. All brand new.

I planned on having the bedding match the curtains match the hamper match the rug match the diaper bag match the bumper. Get the picture?

But, once becoming pregnant and actually seeing how much things cost, my dream nursery was put at an immediate halt.

And, honestly, I'm very okay with that! The nursery is more for the parents (mainly the mom!) than the baby anyway. The baby doesn't care about the paint color or if his sheets match the rug. He just wants to be loved.

So, my goal is to create a room of love for our little one to enjoy with what we already have and with what means we have.

Here are some pictures of what we have so far. :)

Our walls were already green (guacamole green, to be exact!), so it worked out perfectly that we're having a boy.

We got this changing table off Craigslist for a great deal! Sure beats spending three times as much for a brand new one. :) We'll probably replace the picture - it's a little too grown up for a baby's room.


This was Aaron's dresser he used growing up. His dad built it over 28 years ago and it's still as sturdy as ever. (Of course, that means there's 28 years of wear and tear, but I think the scratches give it character!).


This is the most comfortable chair in the world, which is very important for those late nights. Both Aaron's and my parents went in together and bought this for us before we had Ella. We've kept it for over four years to use again and I'm so glad the time has finally come!


This was my book shelf growing up. We plan on using it to store all those fun, little baby things in the closet. As you can see, we have a generous amount of diapers already! I'm sure those will hardly last a month, though.


Changing table, dresser, and blue bin of tons of baby toys (some that we kept from Ella's baby days and some that were given to us from friends).


Ella's great-grandparents gave this lamp to her when she was a baby. Ella graciously let her baby brother have it for his room. So sweet! Oh, and you can see our sound machine. That is an absolutely must! :)


A view of the nursery looking in from the door. :)


Now, onto the crib! Our really good friends are letting us borrow this beautiful crib and bedding. And I think it fits just perfectly with our nursery. The green in the bedding matches our already green walls perfectly.


Another view.


This, my friends, is where I plan on getting wooden letters spelling out T-R-I-S-T-A-N! :)


I'm very happy with the way our simple nursery is turning out. I've been spending a lot of time in there. I just sit on the chair and soak in that this is actually happening!

11 comments:

Bridget said...

How cute! I love that you are using furniture from the past when you were kids :)

Kristen said...

Oh I love it! The green is perfect, and it's a sweet touch to use furniture with sentimental meaning!

Jessica White said...

I love it! Baby stuff is ridiculously expensive....they know they have you and that most people will pay it. I second your opinion of the sound machine...we all sleep with one in our house!

Breanna said...

I love it! All of that furniture has a special place in your heart and it makes the room that much more perfect! :)

Coakley's Journey said...

I love it...think it adorable and it has more charactor then what brand new has. I tell you if it wasnt for our family we wouldnt have been able to afford any of the nursery furniture. Couldnt believe how expensive it is!

Carol said...

I think it's peaceful, beautiful, and unique!

Amy said...

I love everything about it! So exciting! You are going to just love having a boy!

Rach said...

I have the same rocker! I got it off Craigslist last year BEFORE our IVF failed. Then, a couple weeks ago I was walking through Babies R Us and found the foot rest on clearance out of the blue!!

Looks like things are coming along!

Jamie said...

Lurker here, who had to chime in. Get a blank canvas and some paints in the colors of the bedding/walls and let Ella paint a picture to hand over the changing table. It will be cheap and perfect for a nursery.

Jamie said...

hang*

Kim said...

You have done a mighty fine job with repurposing everything! I love the childhood dresser, I agree the nicks add character. So comfy cozy in there. Nice work!