Sunday, February 21, 2010

Called To Be…

God created within me a deep desire to be a wife and mom.  When I was young, I never had any doubts that when I was older, that is where I wanted my life to take me.  I didn't really dream of being a teacher or a nurse.  I just remember my dreams mainly focusing on having a family and being happy.

And I truly feel that I am called to be those specific roles.  I wholeheartedly enjoy sharing my life with one man and being a mom, gosh, it's the most rewarding title and lifestyle imaginable.  But, does having only one child make me any less of a mom than a mom with, say, three or four kids?  Is the love of more kids more validating than the love of one?  I feel like my heart has an infinite amount of love to give, with only one child to receive it.  God created such a deep desire within me to submit myself to being a mom, but yet, He is putting a halt on what I feel He has called me to be.

Called to be? What are you called to be?  I wasn't one of the lucky ones who knew with absolution the career they wanted to go into.  My sister knew from a very young age she wanted to be a teacher.  It's in her blood.  It's her passion.  And here I am, 26 years old, without a true understanding of my chosen career.

I went to U.C.S.D. because that was the best school I got into.  I began my undergraduate degree as an undeclared major because I had no idea what I was passionate about?  I decided halfway through my 4 years to major in political science, mainly because nothing else "fit."  Biology?  NO WAY!  Engineering?  SAY WHAT???  So, having worked in a law office in high school and knowing that I do, in fact, enjoy studying law, I figured that is the road to lead me to the career I'm called to be in.

I always wonder, "What if?" What if I had accepted the offer into the architectural program at Cal Poly, would I have found my calling as an architect of some sort?  What if I didn't move back to Turlock, would I be working at a different law office in Portland that suits me better, that wouldn't make me have these doubts?  What if the scar tissue from my c-section with Ella is causing this infertility?  What if I hadn't chosen to have the Mirena IUD, would I be pregnant by now?

But, I can't live in the past, assuming that if I had made decisions differently I'd be in a better spot.  Because, reality is, this is where I am supposed to be and all of my decisions, whether I see them as good or bad, have contributed to the life I have.  So, what am I called to be?  Well, God knows, and I'm just living each day surrendering myself to what He has called me to be.

1 comment:

Kelly Young said...

Bobby,

I am really enjoying reading your blog and following your great life with that gorgeous little girl and wonderful husband. Life is a series of ups and downs and what ifs, but, if there was no struggle there would be no reward. Life is like mountains and valleys. I always remind myself that when my life is down it will definatly have to go back up. I know that sounds so easy to say, but we have all had things that don't go the way that we think they should go, but God has his own timing and from my experience it's always the best timing.
Live your life and enjoy each day with the hard times as well as the easy times. Don't let one day go by that you will regret because of worrying about tomorrow. Ella will be grown before you know and you never want to take any time away from her.
I'm praying for your peace in the situation.

Kelly