Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Circumstantial Happiness

What makes you happy?  The true, goosebumps-on-arms, heart-pumping, butterflies-in-stomach happiness.  It seems like a lot of people, myself included, find this happiness through tangible means.  Buying things to decorate your house, buying the perfect outfit, buying toys for your kids, going out to dinner at a fancy restaurant, etc. are all things that make us happy.  And, although these things are all fine and dandy, the happiness resulting from them is fleeting and temporary.  Circumstances cannot define true happiness.

And the circumstance of me getting pregnant cannot define my happiness either.

Happiness has to come from within.

Aaron will vouch for this, but for the past few months I have been in a "perma-funk."  A funk that only results when I rely on the idea that me getting pregnant will bring me all the happiness in the world.  And, although seeing a positive pregnancy test, a vision I have replayed in my mind over and over again, will bring me immeasurable happiness, my mood cannot be determined by it.  Getting pregnant cannot be the only circumstance that will bring me the true, goosebumps-on-arms, heart-pumping, butterflies-in-stomach happiness.

There are trials and tribulations in everybody's lives.  Some are battling cancer, some are battling the loss of a loved one, some have lost their jobs and are barely making ends meet.  How can they find happiness when life seems to have turned against them?  God allows us to find happiness, even in the most dire of circumstances.  God's love is all a person needs to get through tough times.  Without my faith in God, I would not be able to get through this time of my life.

There is so much truth to the idea that the little things in life matter most.  When I look back at the happiest moments in my life, I find that they are not defined by when I bought a new couch or new car, but rather when Ella runs to me when I pick her up school or when Aaron surprises me by making a delicious dinner.

"When you look back at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses." ~ Joyce Brothers

And how can that quote not apply when this is my family???

For me, I think God is using my family as an avenue to show me His love.  He has given me Aaron and Ella to bring me happiness, the true happiness that is only revealed through Him.

Latest Infertility Testing Results: As I told you awhile ago, I was waiting to hear back from my doctor regarding my sonogram results.  Well, I got the results back and they are good.  My follicles and eggs are healthy and just fine.  WOO HOO!!!  One more thing to cross off the checklist!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I just found your blog. I read a few blogs regularly and I am glad to see it bring you some happiness! I am so happy to hear you got more good results. I think of you guys often. I know are great parents, sending you positive thoughts during all these tough times.

beccadressler said...

Sister! What an amazing and honest post. Thank God for your test results...and from your writing, it does sound like God is speaking to you through your family! Love you!