Monday, February 15, 2010

Healthy Lifestyle

Eating healthy has never really been my "thing."  I go through spurts where I'm really good, but my usual eating habits always return.  I find that I'm an emotional eater and with this lack of pregnancy happening, I'm relying on food as a coping mechanism.  I know...not good!  And, I guess, a part of me always thinks that I'll get pregnant "next month," and when pregnant, it's okay to gain weight, so no big deal to gain a little bit now, right?  WRONG!!!

Sister is very admirable.  She has acquired a love for fruits, vegetables and all things natural/organic.  She's a true health nut and she wears that label proudly.  I wish I was like her.  BUT, I'm changing my ways and lifestyle.  It'll be a gradual process and I don't ever see myself being as restrictive, for lack of better words, as Sister, but I'm eager and determined to find a healthy lifestyle that suits me.

Sister has given me pointers on how to change my eating habits.  I'm learning that eating healthy isn't about counting calories or following a specific dieting plan.  It's about LIVING healthily.  By that, I mean that my thoughts and actions should not revolve around food.  Happiness should not revolve around food.  If I win this battle over food being this "buddy" of mine that helps me cope with problems, consequentially a healthier, happier life will fall into place.

Even though Fat Bastard from Austin Powers is a ridiculous character, there was so much truth when he said, "I eat because I'm unhappy and I'm unhappy because I eat." Having been trying to conceive for so long, I've become relatively unhappy.  Not to the point of depression or breakdown, but just an overall shift in my mood.

So, with all that said, this post starts the beginning of an avid attempt to change my ways.  My hope is not to lose a lot of weight (although that would be an incredible consequence), but to create this desire or passion inside of me to treat my body as God would want me to.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." - Psalm 139:14

Just as I see Ella as a glimpse of perfection, God looks at me with the same admiration.

I also hope that through this new journey, I will shift my thoughts.  I find myself thinking so much about getting pregnant, wondering what is wrong with me, why I'm battling infertility that I need something to convert my thought process and concentrate on a new idea.  And what better thing to concentrate on than maintaining a healthy lifestyle???

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Galatians 6:9
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up".

Do not give up,
For I will never give up myself.
Always look up,
Be thankful for life, for health.
We are rich,
Our daughter provides our wealth,
Do not give up,
Never give up on yourself.

I love you.

beccadressler said...

I love Aaron's comment! You have such healthy thoughts about changing your eating habits and living a healthy life! The mind is so powerful when it comes to appreciating your body--when you're happy, you're body reflect it!

You should do what I'm doing for Leng--whenever you get sad thinking about not being pregnant yet...PRAY! Stop whatever you're doing, and PRAY. Of course my thoughts aren't about being pregnant! Whenever I think negatively about my body, I'm going to PRAY! I really feel like God will allow me to look at myself differently if I just PRAY!

Also, can I post this post (!) on my blog? It would give you publicity too :) Unless you want to keep this private, then no worries :)