Monday, June 14, 2010

The End of an Era

The end of an era has come. Ella's 10-week soccer era, that is. Aaron and I decided to expose Ella to soccer to see how she took to it. Well, she clearly demonstrated to us that it's not her thing. We don't ever want to be pushy parents that make our children do things they have no interest in or don't feel comfortable doing, so we let Ella let us know once her soccer camp was done, how she felt.

And even though soccer isn't her thing, we couldn't be more proud of her. She really grew from this experience. She went into it shy, reserved and insecure. The first five weeks, she absolutely, positively would not go on the field without one of us by her side or holding her hand. If we tried to sneak away, she would cry, scream, run back to us...it wasn't a pretty sight.

But then one day, she must've told herself that it's not so bad, and she ran onto the field all by herself. That was such a momentous day for us. Her independence was growing, her confidence was beginning to shine, her willingness to go forward with something she really wasn't comfortable doing was coming through. She was the only kid on the field daintily walking the ball around, rather than scurrying about, kicking it with excitement. She was the only kid who'd rather watch than actually participate, but she pushed herself to stay on the field and try her best.

This experience allowed us as parents to see the type of girl Ella is. We got to see that she really is quite shy, despite her loudness and comfort at home. We got to see that she is much more a follower than a leader. But we also got to see her strength, her determination, her excitement in proving to herself and us that she can do it, and her beautiful soul. While all the other kids were crazily running around, Ella would simply do things at her own pace and in her own way, not caring about the craziness surrounding her. I'm so proud!

When I reminded her the morning of soccer that it was her last day, she was a little excited.

Okay, she was A LOT excited.


Our little lefty, giving us her best moves.


At times, Ella simply observes the other kids playing, showing no interest in the ball. But hey, at least she's on the field and participating, in her own Ella way.



I think she needed to knock down the cones behind her. Haha!


Ella taking a break on her ball during a huddle up.



She actually got air on this one!



Running to us for a water break. Too bad she didn't used this speed on the soccer field.



She's all smiles when she comes to us. We are constantly praising and encouraging her. We are by far the loudest parents at the sessions. Is it because Ella needed to be pushed more than the others or because we just wanted her to know we are watching and realizing how amazing she is? I don't know. Either way, I know she heard us and it put an extra bounce to her step.

After such a wonderful time at soccer, I asked her if she wanted to sign up for soccer again, thinking that maybe soccer could become something she loves. She quickly replied, "No, Mommy!" I then asked her if she wanted to do ballet. And with an even quicker response, "Yes, I want to go ballet. I love ballet!" The little one has spoken.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Even though no one really leaves you comments, I think that your blogs are a testament to how wonderful a person you are. You try to resist being complimented and always take those compliments with a grain of salt, but, on the inside I know they matter to you much more than you'll ever let on. Your persistence to keep my family in the loop is truly appreciated, not just because you're posting and sharing pictures with people, but because you realize how important family is to me, to Ella, and to everyone who never sees us but love us just so.

Thank you honey, always and forever. I might not say it often, and I might not say to your face, but no person I know fits the definition of family more than you.