Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Project

Boy, today was hot!  After a very cool spring, summer weather is upon us.  Aaron is not excited, to say the least, but at least we have a pool this summer.

Lately, Aaron and I have been having a hard time getting Ella to eat her dinner.  She pretty much refuses to touch anything.  One night, we gave her half of her favorite dinner (Annie's organic mac & cheese and "Mickey chicken," chicken nuggets in the shape of Mickey's head), and asked her to eat one simple carrot in order to have the rest of her dinner.

Needless to say, it didn't go so well.




She had seconds of her cereal the next morning.  :)

Ella used to be a great eater...no matter what I made, she'd eat it, but now, she's so finicky.  She sometimes sits at the table for an hour (no joke!) before she finally gains enough courage to take a few bites.  And you can't say it's because she's not hungry because we haven't been giving her snacks in the afternoons and she still won't eat.  Ah, I hope this phase passes soon!

So, Aaron and I have decided to redo our kitchen cabinets this summer.  To save money, we are going to keep our current cabinet structures and doors.  We are simply going to sand down the current stain, making the surface smooth and textured.  Then, primer it and paint it.  Wa la!  We have a TON of cabinets and drawers.  We are blessed with a big kitchen.  So, this is going to be a long project.  I'm so excited, though, because this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

A lot of our cabinets, especially the ones by our sink and dishwasher, have water damage.



I suppose we should set the clock on our coffee maker.  Hehe.


And with the new look, we will update our 1960s hinges.  Oh my!  I won't miss those.


Overall, our kitchen cabinets are nice, but an updated makeover is needed.  We plan on getting trim to place above the current lines.  I think that will be very meticulous...making sure each angle is perfectly measured and matches the opposite angle.


Here are a couple pictures of the look we're hoping to imitate.  Too bad I couldn't just trade my kitchen in for this one!


I like the more off-white look, so we'll probably do a color similar to this.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going to have such a beautiful kitchen!!! Maybe a suggestion for Ella and the food thing...try some new foods...foods she's never had before. Or disguise the old foods to look like something fun and colorful! OR, get her to help you make dinner. She'll want to eat what she makes :)

Love you Johnsons!

Nink said...

Thanks, Sister! We're open for any suggestions because what was once enjoyable dinnertime is now frustrating, to say the least. Ella does sometimes help me make dinner, but she's only interested in doing that when we're making something she likes, like pizza! She's too smart if we tried to disguise food, but new foods could be exciting! Going to the store with her and instead of me deciding what's for dinner, she can show me what she'd like. That's a good suggestion, Sister! I will definitely be trying that. :)

Love you, Dressler's!