Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happily Surprised with FET Success Rates

I was checking out RSC's website to see if there was an update on 2010 success rates, and I was happily surprised.

As you can see in the graph below, in 2010, a little over 50% of all fresh IVF cycles in my age group resulted in pregnancy.


IVF and ICSI Cycles Using Fresh Embryos

Age of Women<3535-3738-4041-42
Retrievals20113112971
Transfers18812211267
Pregnancy96595121
Percent per Retrieval47.8%45.0%39.5%29.6%
Percent per Transfer51.1%48.4%45.5%31.3%
Average # of Embryos Transferred1.92.12.53.4

But, now, take a look at RSC's 2010 success rates for frozen embryo transfers. :)

Cycles Using Frozen Embryos

Thaws91657138
Transfers91657038
Pregnancy60343415
Percent per Thaw65.9%52.3%47.9%39.5%
Percent per Transfer65.9%52.3%48.6%39.5%
Average # of Embryos Transferred1.81.82.02.0

I had no idea the FET success rates were so much higher, but I'll take it! You better believe I'll take it!

Maybe the FET success rates are higher because only the absolute best embryos are frozen?

Maybe the FET success rates are higher because the body isn't going through so much? I remember being in quite a bit of discomfort/pain from my egg retrieval for my transfer. And I had a 5-day transfer! I can't imagine having gone in for a 3-day transfer. I was so bloated that my "innie" bellybutton was halfway to becoming an "outie." It was awful! I don't know if my experience was unordinary or what. Maybe it was because I had so many eggs retrieved? I mean, I had 32 follicles in all that Dr. Weckstein punctured in hopes of retrieving an egg (19 of which were mature).

Maybe the FET success rates are higher because the "errors" made with the fresh IVF cycle could be fixed? Dr. Weckstein has clearly told me what he wants to do differently this second time around.

I don't know what the answers are.

I just know my confidence is starting to cautiously creep back up. :)

12 comments:

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

YAY for FETs!!!

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

That's awesome news!! I had always heard otherwise about FET's, good to know!

Anonymous said...

What a great number!!!

Sister :) said...

This is exciting info :)

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Bobbi-This is so exciting! I, too, thought FET rates were much lower than fresh IVF, but at my clinic, its about even. Look at yours! I am pulling for you big time!

Bird said...

This is THEE Most encouraging thing I've read in weeks!!!

Jen said...

That is awesome reassuring news, Bobbi!! It is so exciting to see those statistics!! Thanks for sharing!

Crossing My Fingers said...

Great news and better than my Dr. Val's favorite 50-50 stat!

Jessica White said...

i think the very question you posed is the reason why FETS are more successful. Praying for you guys!

Unknown said...

Whoo hoo, I'd definitely bet on those numbers! I'm excited to follow along this journey and read your happy ending!!

sarah H. said...

I am so glad I ran across this blog! I am about to have my FET next month, after having a failed fresh cycle :( I thought it was all over and I was a total failure, but my hope is renewed with our FET. I am going to do acupuncture, and I am taking baby Aspirin. AND most of all - my body will not be going through all the trauma! The ER was very hard on me!

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog. First of all Congratulations on your success! Just put a smile on face. I am patient of dr. Weckstein also and just had my FET 4 days ago. After my failed fresh cycle 2 months ago ive been completely crushed and had no expectation for the frozen cycle. i will find out in 6 days