I have felt a push to look a bit into uterine lining. As you all know, my uterine lining was only measured at 8.4mm the day of the transfer. And even though anything above 8mm is acceptable, it is a "tad on the thin side," as Dr. Weckstein said. From what I can tell, an acceptable range is 8mm to 13mm, but I've read that some women have 15mm to 16mm even!
The more I looked into how important the uterine lining is for implantation, the more convinced I became that if I had a thicker uterine lining I would've had a better chance of one of those babies sticking around for 9 months!
That is why my doctor, along with most REs, say that transferring more embryos increases the chances of having multiples while not necessarily increasing the chances of getting pregnant. In other words, it is the environment that the embryos are transferred into that has a huge effect on the success of implantation. If the uterine lining is too thin or if there are other obstructions in the endometrium, like polyps or fibroids, then implantation is less likely to successfully occur for all of the embryos. Whereas, if everything is seemingly "perfect" (if there's such a thing!), then implantation is more likely to successfully occur for, again, all of the embryos transferred.
Now, I'm by no means an expert, but as I've admitted before, I am a bit of a research-o-holic. However, you should not hold me as an accountable source for information. But, from what I've read, a healthy uterine cavity does seem to play a significant role in the success of IVF.
I had a laparscopy, hysteroscopy and D&C done in May 2010 to check my endometrium (I was concerned I might've had endometriosis due to ongoing cramping from ovulation to my period), but everything checked out. :)
So, that leads me to my uterine lining. Quite frankly, I didn't even know about uterine lining until I started going in for my monitoring sonograms (where they measured my follicular growth), and they kept measuring my uterine lining. I was so concerned about the size of my follicles that I didn't pay much attention to my uterine lining at all.
However, as I recall, they did tell me it was always measuring a little on the thin side. I never thought much of it, though, because I was so concerned about my darn follicles! I didn't think it was really that important, but now I realize it is!
So, the point of this post is to tell ya'll that I have a theory. And my theory is that the uterine lining is super duper important and that I'm newly convinced the new protocol for my FET is going to be exactly what my body needs to bring us our December baby(ies). :)
Of course, all of this is according to God's Will. He can make a baby out of 0% chance of success and He can withhold a baby with 100% chance of success. I am continually praying for peace, as I know numbers mean nothing to God. Sometimes numbers just make me feel a little better in helping me tighten my grip on hope.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought this as well as my lining was 9 first two goes, this IVF it was 12 and I got a bfn. I'm sure it plays a role but I am wondering if my embryos continue to divide.
I am happy you are having hope...it's the most important piece to this puzzle!
Post a Comment