Monday, November 15, 2010

Acupuncture Clarification

I had sent my IVF nurse an e-mail late Friday afternoon asking for clarity about what the acupuncturist told me. I mean, who in their right mind would tell an infertile couple that IVF will work...over 100% chance of success, in fact! It's just not right to give a couple the false hope that IVF is fool proof and there's basically no chance we're going to walk away without a pregnancy.

Dr. Weckstein called me back and said that, although there is some correlation between IVF success and acupuncture, it is not definitive and it by no means increases my chance of success by 65%. He said he couldn't even confidently tell me that acupuncture would bump it up by 10%.

However, he did tell us that having acupuncture treatment before and after the egg transfer is a good idea and highly recommends that.

I'm scheduled to have my first acupuncture treatment the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, which is also when I go in for my baseline sonogram. Depending on how I like it (which I'm sure I will!) will determine how many sessions I go to. The office is very willing to work with my schedule because I'm coming from so far away, and will squeeze me in when I'm in town for my sonograms and blood work.

The only downfall is Nuture Acupuncture is not a provider, so my insurance will only cover $25.00 for each visit, leaving me a balance of $60.00 per session (since each session is $85.00). Yikes! That can add up quickly.

But hey, I want to do things "right" (if there is such a thing), so as to avoid any doubts or "What ifs?" in case our first IVF is not a success. And really, what's a couple more hundred dollars when we're already forking out so much as it is? :)

On a side note, I'm getting sick. So, please pray that I start feeling better quickly. I want my body to not have to focus its energy on fighting off a cold when it should be focusing all its energy on growing some healthy follicles!

I start my first series of shots on Thursday. Yippee? :)

7 comments:

waiting and wishing said...

Heck yes, yippee!! Sounds like everything is starting to come together. As scary as the first shot is, it is not nearly as bad as you expect it to be!

Kim said...

That was good clarification to get. I knew the percentages couldn't be 100% although I am sure that doesn't something positive for the psyche!

So excited for you to start your shots! Mine arrive today and I start them tomorrow for IUI. Can't wait to follow you!

Life Happens said...

Good luck with the accupuncture! Anything helps. I hope you start to feel better soon and your body will be respond well to the shots. :)

Brave IVF Girl said...

That sounds great! Nice to have a responsive doctor. :)

I was the same way -- figuring if I covered all the bases I wouldn't have a 'well, I wish I'd just done XYZ'.

Good luck!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I have lots of friends who have done acupuncture with IVF. How great that your doctor called you back.

Hope your body does well with all the meds!

Kristina said...

I am thinking about looking into someone to do acupuncture, but I dont know...and convincing the husband is another thing altogether. It's just so dang expensive & with all the rest of the $$ going out the window. Let us know how it turns out!!

Tillie said...

Good luck with the acupuncture...there are a lot of IVF people I know that have done it and liked it. I am excited about your IVF process starting! I hope the meds all do what they are supposed to do!!