Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Down in the Dumps

I am not myself these days. Lupron has completely and utterly changed me. I'm an emotional wreck!

After I inject myself with the small dosage of Lupron between 7:30 and 8:00 every night (it has to be the same time every night), I literally feel the drug go into my blood stream and change me. Don't get me wrong...I don't warp into a crazy person and start running up and down the hallway, but I do start feeling different. I instantaneously feel overwhelmed, anxious and emotional.

I'm not sure if these side effects are normal. I was warned of headaches, but nothing like this! It does make sense, though, since I'm directly injecting hormones into my body.

For those of you who don't know, my doctor prescribed Lurpon to stop my body for ovulating on its own, because everything is going to be monitored and done mechanically, if you will, for this cycle. The drug is basically tricking my body into momentary menopause, and with it, comes an influx of menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, etc.). It sure gives me some insight of how much menopause is going to stink in the future. :)

A part of me thinks that some of my emotional instability is a result of Aaron being gone. Deep down, I think I'd be feel better if Aaron was here to hug me, calm me down, comfort me, and, perhaps most importantly, stab me with the needless (I can't stand giving myself shots!). Of course, he can't change any side effects I may be feeling from my Lupron injections, but he can help walk me through my emotions and take care of me.

When I encouraged him to stay in Oregon for a week, I in no way expected to feel the way I do. Naturally, I knew I would miss him (heck, I miss him when he's at work all day!), but the depressing state I'm in right now is not where I thought I'd find myself. If I had known, I think we both would've thought twice about him leaving.

I've been keeping myself busy with Ella, though. Spending all day with her makes me so happy! She's my little angel and can bring me out of the dumps with just one smile. I'm the luckiest mom in world for God to have entrusted such an amazing little girl as my daughter!

Tomorrow morning, my mom will be driving with me (and Ella) to the bay area. I have appointments for my baseline sonogram and then my first acupuncture session. Because my mom is worried about me and the emotional state I've been in the past couple days, she's taking the day off from work and driving with me. If that's not the most generous, selfless act, I don't know what is! Thanks again, mom. I love you!

9 comments:

Wade's World said...

I'm sorry you are feeling that way :( I wish I was there to give you a hug. Hang in there! You are strong!

Brave IVF Girl said...

It's the Lupron, it makes you crazy. :) My husband and I had to remind each other that the reason I'm losing it is because of the injections. This last IVF had no Lupron and it was soooo much easier to manage my emotions.

Glad your mom is driving with you guys -- that's sweet!

waiting and wishing said...

Yuck, I'm sorry that youa re going through all of this. Emotions are such a tricky thing, and always seem to be easier to manage when you have your husband around to balance things out a bit!
How nice of your mom to take the day to make the trip to the RE with you! Praying that everything goes well!!

Anonymous said...

(feh, i just wrote a long comment and lost it - sigh.. trying again)

I'm glad your mom is going with you! The hormones (or lack thereof) can definitely make a person nutty. I've not been through it myself, but I've heard plenty of stories. So hang in there - be nice to yourself. I always try to remember that feelings aren't facts and just because I feel nutty doesn't mean I have to act that way. I try to choose to pause, pray, and bite my tongue when necessary ;) Take care of yourself and good luck with the appointment tomorrow. Hoping for the best and praying for you, as always.

Michelle said...

Lupron is evil. I was a mess on lupron. So yes, this is Normal! Enjoy your time with your Mom! *hugs* It gets better when stims start, then everything kinda evens out a bit.

Jessica White said...

Ughh! Thinking of you and praying it gets better soon. I'm sure not having Aaron there is just compounding everything. I know my days always seem worse when my husband isn't going to be home anytime soon. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel, and although I feel bad that you and lupron are not bonding- your experience makes me feel a little less crazy... I have been emotionally all over the place. (this is my 7th day on lupron... but hey whose counting:) )

Good luck tomorrow on your ultrasound- hopefully all looks good and you can proceed with the stim drugs.
PS- your daughter is beautiful!

Kim said...

I hope your appointment went well - that is so sweet of your mother to spend the day with you. I really hope your feeling better soon, I have heard some pretty unattractive things about Lupron, although I have never taken it, I definately sympathize.

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bobbi! I totally understand, although I'm not on lupron and never have been--- Clomid makes me crazy enough. Like homicidal, lol, so I feel your pain.

I hope that you have a lovely holiday and I'm praying for a successful round of IVF!

Dear Heavenly Father You know my Bobbi's desire for another child -- a little one to love and to hold, to care for, to cherish. Grant that her body may conceive and give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby in Your holy image. Guide her in all her choices so that this conception, her pregnancy and her baby's birth are in line with Your will. Heavenly Father and Holy Mother, hear this prayer of my heart, mind and spirit. Amen!