We went to our IVF class at RSC Bay Area, where we received information overload.
And all of my IVF medication was delivered, and you guessed right! INFORMATION OVERLOAD!
I'm mentally exhausted, to say the least.
Aaron, on the other hand, seems to be taking in everything much better than I am. He says that's why it's so awesome to be a man. I guess I take more time to process everything. To digest all the whos, whats, whens, wheres, whys and hows.
Who (Aaron or me) will be giving me what injections. When do I need to take what medication and where do I inject which shot? Why do I take certain medicines on certain days and how on earth am I going to keep everything straight?
All those questions were answered at our IVF class this morning. And I learned more than ever how much of a godsend my IVF calendar really is!
The IVF class went really well. The other couple there seemed much more knowledgable with everything, which made me feel like a total goof. Aaron enjoyed playing with the Follistim Pen and injecting the plastic belly on the table. (At one point, I think he had the entire belly in his hands and was bouncing it around!).
He was really good (like, surprisingly amazing) at filling the hypodermic needles with the vials of medicine. I, on the other hand, made it look far more difficult that it really is. So, we've decided that Aaron's going to prep everything for me and I'll do the actual injecting (while Aaron closes his eyes in the corner...scaredy cat!)
That is, until I need the progresterone shots after the egg transfer...those needles are long and thick and need to go right in my booty! (The doctor literally draws target circles where Aaron will need to inject me so there is no chance of messing up!). All other shots seem like a piece of cake now that I've seen the monstrosity of these progesterone needles. Lord, give me strength!
Among many facts I took away from the IVF class, the one that most sticks in my mind is when I was told that all five IVF doctors meet together in the conference room for lunch everyday to discuss each of our cases and exchange opinions and ideas for treatment. We have highly trained medical doctors talking about our case, looking at our file, and discussing what they all believe is best for us. I love how special they make us feel at this office. They all have our best interest at heart. So, not only do we have five doctors working for us, it also means that if our egg transfer happens to land on a day when our main doctor is not in the office, the doctor standing in would be just as familiar with our case, despite me never having met him or her.
The acupuncturist we met was very informative. She gave us some important pointers to remember and recommends me going through an "aggressive" series of acupuncture treatment, since I will be squeezing it all in within the next few weeks before the egg transfer. I'm really hoping acupuncture reveals itself to be as amazing as people have made it out to be. Total, I think I will have five visits...three before the egg transfer and then two the day of the transfer (before and after).
Something that caught Aaron and I off guard was something the acupuncturist said. She said that acupuncture alone increases the IVF success rate by 65%!
Aaron's response, "Oh, that's 5% higher than the 60% estimated chance of success Dr. Weckstein gave us."
The acupuncturist then said, "No, it's 65% on top of that 60%. So, in other words, you have over 100% chance of success this will work."
How is that possible??? Anybody have any insight on this? I'm cautiously going to accept her confidence because I have my doubts. I consulted "Dr. Google" and found many articles showing there is evidence that acupuncture does, in fact, increase the chances by 65%, but I still stand in disbelief.
As for the medication...well, here's a picture of all the goods. :)
Here's a picture with the Follistim (upper right). I forgot it was in the fridge when I took the earlier picture. And it shows you the Follistim Pen I will be using (and Aaron will be playing with). :)
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Thanksgiving sure is creeping up on us. I don't know about you all, but I'm excited for the holiday. I have much in my life that I'm thankful for. :)
The IVF class went really well. The other couple there seemed much more knowledgable with everything, which made me feel like a total goof. Aaron enjoyed playing with the Follistim Pen and injecting the plastic belly on the table. (At one point, I think he had the entire belly in his hands and was bouncing it around!).
He was really good (like, surprisingly amazing) at filling the hypodermic needles with the vials of medicine. I, on the other hand, made it look far more difficult that it really is. So, we've decided that Aaron's going to prep everything for me and I'll do the actual injecting (while Aaron closes his eyes in the corner...scaredy cat!)
That is, until I need the progresterone shots after the egg transfer...those needles are long and thick and need to go right in my booty! (The doctor literally draws target circles where Aaron will need to inject me so there is no chance of messing up!). All other shots seem like a piece of cake now that I've seen the monstrosity of these progesterone needles. Lord, give me strength!
Among many facts I took away from the IVF class, the one that most sticks in my mind is when I was told that all five IVF doctors meet together in the conference room for lunch everyday to discuss each of our cases and exchange opinions and ideas for treatment. We have highly trained medical doctors talking about our case, looking at our file, and discussing what they all believe is best for us. I love how special they make us feel at this office. They all have our best interest at heart. So, not only do we have five doctors working for us, it also means that if our egg transfer happens to land on a day when our main doctor is not in the office, the doctor standing in would be just as familiar with our case, despite me never having met him or her.
The acupuncturist we met was very informative. She gave us some important pointers to remember and recommends me going through an "aggressive" series of acupuncture treatment, since I will be squeezing it all in within the next few weeks before the egg transfer. I'm really hoping acupuncture reveals itself to be as amazing as people have made it out to be. Total, I think I will have five visits...three before the egg transfer and then two the day of the transfer (before and after).
Something that caught Aaron and I off guard was something the acupuncturist said. She said that acupuncture alone increases the IVF success rate by 65%!
Aaron's response, "Oh, that's 5% higher than the 60% estimated chance of success Dr. Weckstein gave us."
The acupuncturist then said, "No, it's 65% on top of that 60%. So, in other words, you have over 100% chance of success this will work."
How is that possible??? Anybody have any insight on this? I'm cautiously going to accept her confidence because I have my doubts. I consulted "Dr. Google" and found many articles showing there is evidence that acupuncture does, in fact, increase the chances by 65%, but I still stand in disbelief.
As for the medication...well, here's a picture of all the goods. :)
Here's a picture with the Follistim (upper right). I forgot it was in the fridge when I took the earlier picture. And it shows you the Follistim Pen I will be using (and Aaron will be playing with). :)
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Thanksgiving sure is creeping up on us. I don't know about you all, but I'm excited for the holiday. I have much in my life that I'm thankful for. :)
4 comments:
Hopefully she's a better acupuncturist than mathematician - a 65% increase to a 60% would be 60% + 65% of 60% (not 60% + 65%). Which would get to 99%. However, thats just not accurate. IVF with two embryos has a 50-60% success rate, which of course varies by age, medical situation, doctor, etc.
My doctors believe acupuncture can be helpful, but not based on any studies that they feel are trustworthy, more based on experience and intuition. I do acupuncture, based on their belief that it's helpful.
The progesterone needles are scary looking but it turns out they're not that bad. Not looking helps. :)
Exciting to be starting everything! Good luck!
That was an information overload just to read! I'm sure that one day at a time it wont seem like so much. You can do this!!!
That is a bunch of information, just reading it is overwhelming! But I am sure once you read it through and straighten it out in your mind, you will be fine.
I have heard that acupuncture improves success rate as high as 50%, but never heard the 65% number. And I would imagine if the success rate is 30% and acu increases it 50% then it goes up to 60%, thats the way I always figured it in my head....but not sure. I like her numbers better. xoxoxoxoxox
My accupuncturist gave me the same figures and I'm pregnant following my first ivf! Good luck!
Post a Comment