Following the unthinkable devastation the tornadoes left behind this past week, my eyes can't help but open up to how beautiful and blessed my life is. My gosh, imagine losing your entire home, not to mention friends and family, in the blink of an eye! Bam! Someone's life can fall apart just like that.
I'm sure most of you have heard about the pregnant mom and her three young kids sheltering themselves in a bathtub. The tornado was too big and the winds too fierce to keep them safe. The family was swept apart, separated from their mom's arms.
Two of the three children died. One remains in critical condition.
Imagine the emotions this mom and dad (who was away when the storm hit) are going through. Just imagine! Every time I think about these poor children, and all the innocent victims this storm took, my heart yearns for my family. I just want to hug them. Forever.
I want to indefinitely squeeze Ella. Never letting go. I want to hug my strong Aaron and never, ever pull away.
They are my world.
They are my everything.
So much emphasis in this world is put on material items. Cars, houses, electronics, clothes, but those are meaningless and disposable. A car can be crushed like a soda can in a storm. A house shredded to its bare foundation.
And although losing a home and possessions is an unfathomably scary idea, the mere thought of losing my family leaves a heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach, a lump in my throat and swelling tears in my eyes.
I am so very sad for all the homeless families who are mourning the loss of loved ones after this past week's storms. I'm sure every single one of them would do anything for one last hug, one last "I love you," one last look into their loved ones' eyes.
And, here I can put this laptop down, and go into Ella's bedroom where she is sleeping, and see her. Smell her. Embrace her. Kiss her rosy cheeks. Whisper sweet nothings into her dreams.
I can put this laptop down and go snuggle against Aaron, having him hug me back.
I can put this laptop down and go to sleep in my warm bed with a solid roof over my head, knowing my loved ones are safe.
And all of that can be taken away in the blink of an eye.
I will never, ever take for granted what God has so graciously blessed me with. I know that I am immeasurably blessed. And, I will continue to pray for all the families torn apart and all the shattered lives that are trying to rebuild.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How very true Bobbi! If people realized what was truly important in life, family, friends, there wouldn't be as many problems as there are in the world. We are blessed to live this life, and the people who share it with us are the greatest gift God could give us.
Praying right along with you for all those devastated, in whatever capacity, by the tornadoes.
So true... it's easy to get caught up in the "things to do" and a busy schedule and miss out on what's really important. Thanks for this post as a reminder! I can't even imagine what those families are going through.
Post a Comment