Sunday, May 29, 2011

Is This My Calling?

Since beginning my blog over a year ago, I've received a ton of positive feedback - both in regards to the journey I've been on and in regards to my writing. Lots of people have even gone so far to encourage me to write a book.

Me?

Write a book?

I have honestly never considered myself to be an amazing writer. I think I have the fundamentals of grammar down. I think I put punctuation where it belongs. I think I am able to convey my message accurately. I think a lot of things about my writing style, most of which are self-critiquing.

However, one thing I am confident about is the ability to write from my heart. I feel what I write, and through that, I think there may be potential to write a book.

Oprah inspired me by what she said on her last show.

"What I knew for sure from this experience with you is that we are all called. Everybody has a calling, and your real job in life is to figure out what that is and get about the business of doing it. Every time we have seen a person on this stage who is a success in their life, they spoke of the job, and they spoke of the juice that they receive from doing what they knew they were meant to be doing. We saw it in the volunteers who rocked abandoned babies in Atlanta. We saw it with those lovely pie ladies from Cape Cod making those delicious potpies. … We saw it every time Tina Turner, Celine, Bocelli or Lady Gaga lit up the stage with their passion. Because that is what a calling is. It lights you up and it lets you know that you are exactly where you’re supposed to be, doing exactly what you’re supposed to be doing. And that is what I want for all of you and hope that you will take from this show. To live from the heart of yourself. You have to make a living; I understand that. But you also have to know what sparks the light in you so that you, in your own way, can illuminate the world." ~ Oprah

God works in mysterious ways. He instilled within me such a deep desire to be a mom. And, yet withheld from allowing that desire to be immediately fulfilled. God knew that bringing infertility into my life would open my eyes and heart to so much more had this battle never existed for me.

I always told Aaron, even before becoming pregnant, that I felt God unveiled a big part of His plan for me through our infertility. I would not have started this blog, my faith would not have grown, I would not have this want (no...need!) to help fellow infertile women. Heck, I would not even know infertility existed! I had no idea so many couples battle this disease everyday, until we were one of those couples. I was so blind. So ignorant. So sheltered from such pain.

And it is through this pain that I found my calling.

(Photo courtesy of Google Images).

Some people immediately know their calling in life. Some people have to go through specific life circumstances to find it. Some people may never find it. I'm lucky enough to have found it.

I truly believe my calling is to inspire, to love on, to educate, to cry with and to be a beacon of hope for infertile couples out there. And, I believe this blog has given me a wonderful tool to do so...for now.

But, how much bigger does God want to take this?

Maybe someday He will lead me to write a book.

Until then, I will continue doing what I love...and that is blogging! :)

4 comments:

Becca said...

Sister! You should totally pursue this!!! So many of the blogs I follow get paid for blogging, and in the process, wrote (or are writing) a book. It's a great way to advertise for your book, and for publishing companies to get to know you and see your success and popularity in the blog world!!! What a great way to transition to being a mom of 2 and moving to Oregon in the future!!! Think about the possibilities of being a stay at home mom!!! A few blogs I follow are stay at home moms and blog for a career. I'll be praying for you...maybe this is your "calling!"

DandelionBreeze said...

What a wonderful idea... you should write a book to help other IF couples :) I love Oprahs quote... it resonates with me too. Looking forward to hearing all about your journey in the future and with you every step of the way xoxo

The2sams said...

Good for you, just follow your heart and God and you will know.

Breanna said...

I love reading your blog! I've been following your story for awhile now and can't help but feel so happy for you and your happiness! I left you a little something on my blog :)

http://therushfamily.blogspot.com/2011/05/spreading-sunshine.html