Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Hair Smells Like Progesterone

I have still been keeping up with my nightly PIO injections, along with twice a day Prometrium inserts. The inserts aren't so bad - just somewhat of a nuisance. But, those shots! Those massive, thick shots of progesterone in oil are killing me.

My RE had told me I have to keep with my progesterone and estrogen (I'm taking Estradiol twice a day, too) treatment because, if I stopped, I would miscarry. He told me it's like feeding my baby. These hormones are necessary to keep this pregnancy healthy and the baby happy.

And a happy baby is a happy mommy, despite my bruised, lumpy, inflamed, rocks-under-the-skin butt cheeks.

When a woman conceives naturally, her body produces the right levels of hormones.  But, when going through FET, my body didn't produce anything. My body was forced not to ovulate. My ovaries were suppressed. The only hormones in my body were those being pumped in artificially.

But, when a pregnancy reaches around nine weeks, the placenta begins producing the hormones.

I had my blood drawn today to see where my levels are, and will get the results tomorrow. If all is as it should be (knock on wood), tonight marked my last injection!

And, if it's not, then that's okay, too! I'm willing to do anything to keep my baby healthy. Anything.

4 comments:

DandelionBreeze said...

Hoping for you that tonight is your last night of injections... FXd for your results tomorrow xoxo

Hillary said...

I keep hearing that PIO shots hurt like heck and are just horrible. Are mine no so bad because they are only once a week?

I'm so glad that you'll soon pass another milestone in the journey to welcoming this new baby!

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

Bridget said...

I hear you!! I was so glad to be done with my PIO shots- they are by far the worst!! Hope your blood work comes back all good!

foxy said...

The PIO's started off just fine, but got so much more difficult for me as time progressed. But like you say, I would do ANYTHING for this baby.

May you have much strength and pain tolerance to continue for a little longer!