Friday, May 13, 2011

This May Be A Little Premature

For those of you who don't know, I ended up delivering Ella via c-section.

Here is the long story short rundown...

At around 38 weeks, I was showing signs of preeclampsia. At 38 weeks 6 days, my doctor decided because my blood pressure was not going down after being on bed rest, they needed to induce me.

They induced me around 6:00 p.m., September 21st. After 14 hours of on-and-off sleep and nothing happening, they were about in induce me again at 8:00 a.m., September 22nd, when my water broke! And the contractions began!

So, I requested my epidural, and laid low, rested, crunched on ice chips for another 12 hours, at which time I was finally fully dilated and ready to begin the dirty work.

I pushed from about 8:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. with very little progress. Ella began to show signs of stress. The doctor suggested we consider going in for a c-section.

After tears of exhaustion, concern and surprise, Aaron and I decided to have Ella delivered via c-section and our little miracle made her world debut at 11:10 p.m.

So, where am I going with all of this?

Well, typically, when a woman has a c-section delivery, all subsequent deliveries are to follow suit. So, when my new OB-GYN went over my charts last Tuesday and saw that I had a c-section delivery in my history, he immediately went to his calendar and said...

"Well, it looks like your baby will have a December 1st or December 5th birthday."

What???

I asked him why those two days, and he said that generally, they like to schedule c-sections at 39 weeks, which would be Saturday, December 3rd, for me. But, since he'll be gone for a 3-day conference that weekend, I will either have the baby delivered on Thursday, December 1st, or Monday, December 5th.

So, naturally, that has me thinking, and I know it's entirely premature to start thinking that far in advance, but it's pretty fun to start planning such a big event!

And knowing me, I'll go for the December 1st date, simply because I wouldn't want to wait the extra four days!

But, like I said, I know these thoughts are entirely premature. I totally blame my OB-GYN! :)

6 comments:

Jessica White said...

Wow! It's actually kind of sad that the first thing the doctor does it assume a c-section and then flip out there calendar lol Takes a bit of the anticipation and suspense out of it :-)

I'm not trying to push anything, but have you consider trying a v-bac, if everything is looking good?

Jessica White said...

Pardon all of the typos in that previous post *it=is, there=their.

Crossing My Fingers said...

That's cool that you can plan around it and take your pick.

Mrs BabyDream said...

You are awarded the "The Versatile Blogger Award" :) Do check out my link http://www.destinyfertility.blogspot.com

Nic said...

wow, 1st Dec, so exciting!!!

Angie said...

Oh, I'd love it if your little jelly bean arrived on December 1. That was our due date, and it will also be the anniversary of when we lost our first angel. I'd love a reason to celebrate the day. Best wishes to you!