First off, I want to say that it's SO GOOD TO BE HOME. Even though I absolutely love camping (after camping yearly with my family while growing up and camping tons with Aaron "pre-Ella" time), there is nothing like the feeling of walking in my house for the first time in days, witnessing the comfort and warmth that only my house can provide. The colors seem brighter, the rooms look more inviting, the little things I usually take for granted become so pleasing and welcoming. Thank you, God, for this beautiful house you have given me to call our home.
Ella puts it best. When we first got home, she walked into our family room and said, "Ooooh, this carpet is so dry and warm!" And then, when going to bed, she tiredly, yet excitedly, said, "I like my bed!" Those little things that day in and day out we take for granted become heightened and more appreciated after not having them for awhile. Even little Ella recognizes it!
Okay, now to camping...
Camping was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! The drive up and back was far less than amazing, but Ella did as good as any 3-year old can do. 396 very long miles! On our way up, after we passed Eureka, a town about 20 miles South of Patrick's Point, I had to turn our GPS off because Aaron was spending more time watching the miles count down than he was watching the road! Needless to say, we were all so excited when we arrived! Breathing in that coastal fresh air. Oh, that fresh air! Patrick's Point seriously has a scent all of its own. Perfect, crisp, refreshing! I can imagine the smell as I breath in right now.
Very common for Northern California coastal weather, most of the days were foggy and damp. So foggy, in fact that the mist built up on the leaves that dropped on us like massive rain drops. Many nights we'd wake up to the pounding of the drops on our tent trailer and we'd think it was raining. The fog typically wore off by early afternoon, but that didn't stop us from exploring during the cold morning hours!
Most days began with a warm, hearty breakfast or Costco muffins (gotta love 'em!), and then we'd either go on a hike, head to Agate Beach and/or go on a bike ride. Afterward, we'd take HOT showers, alternating who would have to take a shower with Ella each day (the showers with Ella were far less enjoyable, haha!). We'd come out from the showers to beautiful blue skies and rays of sunshine cutting through the trees. Seeing that, on top of feeling clean and refreshed, topped among some of the best moments I experienced during this trip.
Some other highlights that come to my mind.
1. Ella's passion for bike riding. Whether it be on Aaron's bike in her 40-pound capacity bike seat (we weighed her before we left...thankfully she was shy of that mark) or on her own training-wheeled Disney bike, she has a need for speed! We would walk around the campgrounds with Bob, allowing Ella to ride ahead of us, and, boy oh boy, is our little girl quite the daredevil. We trusted her, though, because every time she got too far, we would simply yell, "Stop!" and she'd skid to a stop. She was always on the lookout for cars and knew to move to the side and stop.
2. Ella's passion for the beach. Her love for finding "targets" (somehow that is what she came to call agates), her love for digging and carrying around buckets full of rocky sand and her LOVE for wading in the ice cold waves ankle deep.
3. Banana slugs.
4. Aaron catching a snake.
5. Ella compassionately singing "Happy Birthday" to Aaron around the campfire.
6. The deer that came into our campsite and stared us down (with red eyes, Aaron would like to add).
7. How excited Bob got when we finally took him off the leash at Cannon Beach, a beach just South of Patrick's Point, after being on a leash 24-7, unless in his crate in the tent trailer (Patrick's Point regulations).
8. Ella being a trooper on the countless hikes and steps (oh, the steps!).
9. "Roberfro." We started calling Bob "Roberto" for fun and Ella's version always made us laugh.
10. Aaron's fire building. Or should I say, his "tower" fire building?
11. Giving the biggest agate I found away. Yes, you heard right! We were down at the beach one day and I noticed this guy avidly looking for agates. He was so determined! He literally stayed in the same spot forever, digging away, allowing a wave to work its magic, and then anxiously looking to see if the ocean revealed any beauties. So, while heading back to the head of the beach trail, I went up to him and asked him if he was having any luck finding any agates. He quietly said, "Oh, a couple, but they are small." Then, I pulled out my beauty...an agate I had been carrying around in my pocket for days...and told him that I felt really compelled to give that to him. I really think it was God telling me to do it. The warmth and certainty and I had in doing it could only be described as God. He grabbed the beautiful rock and looked at me, "Why on earth would you give this to me? That is just so sweet!" He was so happy, shocked and surprised. He said, "They make them this big?!?" I told him that I had been going to Patrick's Point since I was born and I have thousands of agates at home. And truthfully, I miss that beautiful agate (the design was perfect!), but I know the story of generosity I gave him to share with family and friends and the beautiful rock he has to show off far out reaches my desire to have it in my possession. Pay it forward, everybody! It feels really good!
12. The tired craziness that overcame Ella from 5:00 on. I guess I couldn't consider this a highlight, but it's a memory I will take with me. I have pictures to prove this craziness.
13. Riding down hills at full speed with Aaron (with Ella) behind me. The uphills absolutely sucked, but the downhills far made up for them!
14. Finding deer in the meadow on the way to Ceremonial Rock.
15. Ella dancing when we turned on the portable radio.
16. My burnt shoe!!! Luckily, I accidentally packed my least favorite tennis shoes. I got soaked by a wave one day and Aaron, being the sweet fire-loving husband that he is, offered to dry the shoes by the fire. As I was in the tent getting things ready for us to all take showers, I hear Aaron yell, "Hun, you're not going to be happy with me!" I come out and one of my shoes is smoking! It's absolutely ruined! Aaron tries to fix it as best as he can, even though the shoelaces are charred and the thin breathable cloth is gone, but it looked like an absolute mess. And it is with this absolute mess that I rode my bike and hiked down to the beach again. Not complaining while it was happening, I woke up the next day with a blister on my foot and my knee extremely sore from limping. Needless to say, we scouted out for the nearest shoe store, which turned out to be about ten miles away, to find me some fun grandma-looking white sneakers. A lady later commented on my shoes and said, "Wow, those white shoes won't stay white for long." They were quite blinding for maybe...oh...an hour. Haha!
Okay, there are probably more highlights to add to this list, but I'm quite tired and so eager to jump into my comfortable bed. Good night!
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment