Tonight, Aaron, Ella and I went to my parents' place for a dinner get-together with my godparents. When we arrived, Valerie, a missionary from Togo, Africa was there. My mom had invited her to join us. I've known her since I was a young girl (we went to the same church) and it was great hearing stories about her mission work and life.
First off, I want to give a SHOUT OUT to my most avid blog followers...my godparents! It was really great seeing you tonight. You guys are both so comforting to be around simply because you never change! Diane, you have always been the kindest, most patient person. Your laugh is contagious and your smile is welcoming. I thoroughly enjoy catching up with you. Good luck teaching your 4th graders this year! And Ken, it's so funny to see Ella's uncertain fear of you, just as I had when I was young. You are a spitfire (as my mom likes to say)! You are playful and fun to be around. Take care of Diane, okay? :)
Okay, now onto what I want to write about...
Valerie has been a missionary in Togo for the past thirteen years. She said whenever she comes back to the States she gets angry. She has gotten better about accepting the differences between the two worlds she calls home, but it's still so hard! We Americans spend money on things we absolutely don't need to survive, whereas the kids she teaches English to in Africa don't have enough money for food, let alone for medical care or school supplies. Valerie gives them money simply so they can have a meal I imagine equivalent to 1/10th of what we eat for breakfast on any given day!
While visiting Turlock, she stays with her sister and her kids. She says it's so hard to hear them talk about buying a 5th wheel and jets skis, when she knows back in her African home, the household annual income is $400...not even a slight fraction of the cost of such an American luxury. We spend money superfluously without seeing the true value in a dollar.
Perspective, people!
We so quickly take for granted all the little things that residents in Africa only dream about. A hot shower, a faucet of clean water, a bed with pillows and blankets. I'm remodeling our kitchen cabinets because they were scratched and outdated, but I at least have a kitchen...a kitchen filled with food at that!
A part of me wishes I can go to one of these 3rd world countries and witness the poverty first hand. I know it'll leave me depressed and helpless, but it'll also leave me so appreciative for the blessings in my life. Sure, I am grateful (I have much to be grateful for!), but I won't pretend, not even for a second, that I don't ever take things for granted. I'm self-absorbed in my own material world of things that don't matter.
Some of the lyrics of a song I really enjoy by Toby Mac go, "I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul." I feel like we can all relate to this song. We all need to not be so consumed with material wealth, but instead focus on the wealth that matters...you all know what that is. I don't want to have a house filled with beautiful decor, a luxurious car to drive, and nice clothing to wear, if my life is empty with love. Aaron and Ella make my life complete, not kitchen cabinets or other material un-necessities.
If we lived within our means and only bought things we needed, rather than wanted, I think not only would our lifestyles change, but in turn, our hearts would change to. Something to think about! It's definitely something I'm thinking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment