Monday, July 19, 2010

Infertility Fifteen

I'm sure you've all heard about the infamous "freshman fifteen." Some freshmen in college end the year weighing more...whether it be five, ten, fifteen, or even twenty pounds more.

Well, the same unfortunate luck applies to me, except I'm packed on the INFERTILITY FIFTEEN! Being an emotional eater and going through this emotional battle can only mean one thing...pound influx!

But, on top of that, fertility drugs soak in the pounds like a sponge. A sponge that isn't so easily wrung out! I was on Clomid for a total of seven months! Not only was I an emotional, psychotic mess, but month by month, the pounds slowly started to add on. The drug messes with a woman's hormone balance and if a woman's hormone balance is tampered with, weight is usually affected as well. It is much like the birth control pill where many women sometimes experience weight gain. Nothing in their diet is changed...just that hormone change! Darn hormones!

Our "2-year anniversary" of trying to conceive is just around the corner. At that time, Aaron and I plan on being very aggressive to conceive our second child. How aggressive? We haven't decided yet. But, we'll be consulting an infertility specialist to see what he/she feels our best options are.

Until that time, Aaron and I have both committed to a healthier lifestyle. It's only common sense that if each of us (especially me) are healthier and at a healthier weight, then all aspects of our bodies are in better shape and working at full potential. Even though Aaron and I conceived Ella quickly and naturally without changing our lifestyle choices, committing to a healthier lifestyle may be the extra step keeping Aaron and me from conceiving this time around.

Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers as we have now approached our 23rd month of trying to conceive. This journey has tested our relationship in all directions, but the best direction it has moved us is forward! Our commitment and love to each other and each other's happiness have infinitely grown over the past 23 months and I have this journey, although unfortunate, to thank for that.

Needless to say, we are soooooo ready for this journey to come to an end! SpongeBob says it best...

No comments: