The past few days or so, Ella has had a mild cold. Nothing too serious. We gave her some cough & cold medicine when we thought necessary. She was always in great spirits, though, and never acted sick, so we didn't want to give her medicine unless she absolutely needed it. It was just the sniffles, after all. No fever.
Then, a couple days ago (Tuesday afternoon, to be exact), she was complaining about her right eye hurting. Aaron and I looked it, didn't notice anything different, and just thought maybe she bumped it.
Yesterday, again...same complaints. It was looking maybe a little pinker, but nothing too concerning. Aaron triple checked to make sure there wasn't like an eyelash stuck in there somewhere. Nothing. By the end of the day, though, when it was time to go to bed, there were a bit of "googlies" at the corners of her eyes. I looked at Aaron and said, "This could be bad."
Sure enough, this morning...moment of truth! Her eye was way worse. It was about halfway closed, red, puffy, and had a few crusties around it. The actual white of her eye wasn't "pink," so I didn't think it was pink eye, but I called her school and said she wasn't going to class today and scheduled an appointment with her doctor first thing just to make sure! With the chance that it's pink eye, we need to fight it! She has a wedding to be in on Saturday!!!
So, we get to the doctor, and low and behold, he says it's either 1) a mild case of pink eye or 2) an irritation caused from Ella's cold and low-grade fever (it was 99.6 this morning). He couldn't diagnose which is the case. If she didn't have a cold, he'd label it as pink eye, but since she had this cold and fever, he said the eye irritation could've resulted from that. I explained that we're leaving tomorrow for Portland and that she's in a wedding. I remained calm, but in the inside I was freaking out a bit. He said that we need to get her on antibiotic drops so that she's better by Saturday. If not, it could flare up a lot more.
Of course, the pharmacy didn't receive the doctor's initial fax, so I had to call the doctor's office for them to re-fax and call back the pharmacy again a little while later...to find out they still did not have the prescription! Frustrated, I called the doctor again, and they re-faxed again, and thank goodness when I called the pharmacy this time, the assistant was like, "Oh yeah, it's here...I'm looking at it right now." So, either they have three prescriptions lurking around and they were just too lazy / busy / uninterested / lacking in customer service when I called to see if they received the fax or somebody is not doing their job correctly. Do any of you ever have similar problems? I feel like this happens almost every time we see a doctor.
So, now with Ella napping, I'm not able to get the drops, which is very frustrating. She should've had the drops soon after her appointment and her eye could be resting with the medicine fighting away the infection as I type this! I'm a little bit concerned, but praying that tomorrow she wakes up with two beautiful, bright eyes. And if not tomorrow...at least Saturday! Fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment