Thursday, September 2, 2010

Very Busy Wednesday

Wednesdays are officially known as "Ella Days" around our house. Well, I guess I should take that back because everyday is really an "Ella Day," but just more so on Wednesdays. :)

Ella has ballet from 4:30 to 5:15. She is now in the 4-year old class. She had to turn four by the 3rd class and she technically didn't make the cut off, but I thought it'd be good for her to be in the older class (and I don't think the teacher will question her age...hopefully?). These girls are so much more advanced and attentive! Ella did really well, though. Followed instructions perfectly. But, Aaron and I noticed that she has one downfall....

SHE'S A LEFTY! So, whenever instructed to twirl, she twirls the opposite way of all the other girls. And when she turns the way she's "supposed" to, she's...well...not as coordinated. Then, whenever pointing toes and placing them forward, all the girls naturally do their right feet, but Ella was always the oddball out, putting her left foot forward. The teacher was patient with her. "Ella, which foot is your sticker foot?" (because all the girls' right slippers had stickers on them).

All in all, I think this ballet class will be MUCH better than the last and I can't wait for the Christmas recital! If the girls dance with little Santa hats on, I'm going to flip out with the cuteness! Oh, and there are identical twin girls (one is just taller than the other) in this ballet class. Double the cuteness! Okay, that's enough "cute" talk for me. :)

After ballet, we headed home for a quick dinner, and then we went off to church for AWANA (not before taking some pictures first!).

All pumped up and ready to go!


Aaron, after noticing I was taking pictures, had to get in on one. And then, of course, Ella insisted on strangling, I mean holding, Bob. Don't worry, all pugs used for the production of this picture were not harmed. :)


This is the crazy Ella face!


Another shot of the crazy Ella face! Oh my!


There's a sweet angel in there somewhere. Oh, there it is!



I have to admit, I was a little nervous. I don't know why! I had just never been a children's leader before. I didn't know if they'd like me, if they'd listen to me, or if I'd even know what to do! But, all the "veteran" leaders helped me out and the children LOVED me, and it felt so good. They listened to me and looked to me for guidance. I'd always stoop down to their levels when talking to them. One of them said I was "beautiful" and another little boy, named Logan, had glasses on like mine, so we had an immediate 4-eyed bond. :) Lots of the girls followed me around the room, waiting for my instructions...not knowing anybody or what to do as much as me! So, needless to say, we learned together! The boys, however, were quite a bit more rowdy, but it was fun being around them, since I only have Ella. I now have a clearer idea of why God blessed me with a little girl. :)

So, there were about 70 to 80 little 3-4 year olds. WOW! As the director said, the first night is nothing but chaotic order, and that it was! When we went into the main room, Ella started shaking. I don't know if she was shaking from being scared from seeing so many new faces or because she was shaking from squeezing my finger so tight, but either way, she glued herself to my leg and told me not to go. I reassured her I was staying the whole time.

But within five minutes, she asked if she could go play and off she went. Straight to the play kitchen area, of course! Once most the kids were there, we were involved in a huge "circle time," where the director introduced the kids to Cubbie Bear, sang some songs, recited the Pledge of Allegiance and just got the kids excited for the activities ahead.


All the kids were divided into five colored groups. Ella and I were in the orange group. I was the orange leader! Naturally, I thought Ella was going to be with me the whole time, seeing as how we were in the same color. Little did I know! I was co-leader with a nice man named Tom, and we were put in charge of the craft room. All five groups of the kids rotated among five rooms, all containing something new and exciting for the kids. I was so excited when Ella came into my room. I got a huge hug with a loud, "That's my Mommy! Oh Mommy, I missed you!" Once all the rotations were done, all the groups headed back for a final circle time where we sang and signed "Jesus Loves Me." Nothing like the sound of 3-4 year olds singing that sweet song.

Then, after that, all the orange kids (including Ella) followed me to where I had all their crafts and some informational stuff for their parents lined up, which I speedily organized so I could join Ella for final circle time. Towards the end of the night, she was quite needy. Mainly, because I think she was tired, but she probably just wanted some comfort and some love, that only a Mommy can give.

Once I had all the kids under my wings, so to speak, I took off their name tags and gave them their things. Then, I thought, "Oh great, what if the parents come and ask for so-and-so and I can't remember who it is!" But, luckily, I have a pretty good memory! Once all the parents picked up theirs kids, Ella and I headed home.

All in all, a very wonderful Wednesday with my very wonderful daughter. I'm so happy I volunteered with AWANA! I'm so happy I get to watch Ella interact and see the personality type she is among other kids her age. I mean, I know her personality type at home...dominating, crazy (see above pictures if you don't believe it!), happy and sweet...but outside of home, she's quite the opposite and it was refreshing seeing this side of her. My little sweetheart.

Ella is required to memorize one new Bible verse each week for AWANA. Here is a short clip of her memorizing her verse for this week. "God loved us...and sent His son." (1 John 4:10).

3 comments:

Rach said...

How C U T E ! Glad the meeting went well.

Jos said...

LOL - I'm a lefty, and it never occurred to me that it might explain my issues in dance class as a child. Thanks for the lightbulb moment. :)

Alexis said...

That's so sweet! And I love the interaction between the two of you. You really sound like a great mommy, and I'm praying for more babies for you to be a great mommy to! {{hugs}}