Anyway, what does this mean for our future children???
Aaron needs to have more blood work done (and you all know how much he is looking forward to that) to determine if he's a carrier as well.
If he is not a carrier (which we're almost certain will be the case, but then again, I had no idea I was a carrier), then the diagram on the left applies. None of our kids would have the disease, but there would be a 50% chance any given one of them would be a carrier (as I am) and a 50% chance of any given one of them being a non-carrier.
However, if Aaron turns out to be a carrier, then the diagram on the right applies, and there would be a 25% chance any given one of our children would be born with the disease.
I know I'm talking on a hypothetical now (because the likelihood of Aaron being a carrier as well is very slim), but just imagine if it is the case! Just imagine if we are both carriers! Imagine, first, how wonderful of a blessing having Ella being born without the disease really is (given the 1 in 4 odds). And, second, imagine God's hand in our "infertility."
Imagine Aaron and I unsuccessfully trying to conceive for 24 months, questioning why it's not happening, why God is not blessing us with a second child, all the while God was looking down on us with a warm smile, saying, "See? I have everything under control. You should never doubt My plan for your lives."
And, don't get me wrong, I am in no way hoping Aaron is a carrier. And I'm not saying I need him to be a carrier to find clarity as to why God hasn't blessed us with a baby by now. I feel my clarity, my "Ah ha!" moment, will come in time. But, in the back of my mind, I smile at the thought that God has a hand in this. I smile at my ignorance about how great God really is. If Aaron turns out to be a carrier, oh wow, I can only imagine the humility I will feel to have ever doubted God.

9 comments:
That's so great that you're looking at it like that. I think I would freak if I heard that!! Still, I'm praying that your husband is NOT a carrier, and that you'll soon both be the carrier of a perfectly healthy baby!!
WOW. It never ceases to amaze me how little we do actually know about our ownselves! Like Alexis, I hope and pray that your husband is not a carrier, so it is one less thing you have to think about on your journey.
My SIL didn't know she was a carrier either until after she had her first child. She now has two boys with CF and they are thriving. I hope your hubby isn't a carrier, but if he is, God is in control of it all so no worries.
We were side swiped with the cystic fibrosis gene as well! My MIL said she's never heard of it on either side of their family yet my husband has 2 mutations. He didn't even know it until he was 35 years old! This is the reason he doesn't have a vas deferense and therefore has a 0 sperm count.
If your husband isn't a carrier then your children wont have CF, but 50% chance they may be carriers. At least thats how we understood the genetic Dr. Carries are usually not affected.
You are handling this news so well! I sincerely hope that your husband is not a carrier. Any idea when you'll know the results of his tests?
I'm hoping for you that your husband is NOT a carrier and that you'll be able to breathe a little easier knowing he's not.
Like many have already said, you're handling the news very well. And it is amazing how little we know about the genetic makeup of our own bodies.
When will you be finding out about his tests results?
Even though the chances of him being a carrier are slim, Im sure this is weighing heavy on your mind. Youre attitude is amazing! Keep your hopes high and Im sure itll all work out!
I am so proud of you and the outlook that you have :) You attitude and strength is amazing! I don't think I ever told you, but I work with CF kids...they are some of my favorite patients! I'll be praying that Aaron is NOT a carrier and that your little miracle is just around the corner.
What an awesome outlook! You are right, God truly does have control of everything. I pray that Aaron is not a carrier!
Post a Comment