Thursday, September 16, 2010

One Step Closer

Aaron got a call from Dr. Weckstein yesterday. All our blood work came back very good. YAY!!! IVF is almost a go (as far as testing goes...mentally, Aaron and I aren't quite ready). The last thing required is a second semen analysis. Aaron had a semen analysis done when we hit the 1-year mark of trying to conceive, but it wasn't extensive enough for Dr. Weckstein. And, with Aaron's low-ish sperm motility, after a year passing, it's a good idea to get another look at that, since that could be an issue when it comes to IVF.

Dr. Weckstein has already suggested we do ICSI, in which he would directly insert Aaron's sperm into my egg, creating an embryo. Without ICSI, the sperm are put into a petri dish with an egg and basically go at it. Whichever is the strongest or fastest wins the prize of making a baby! But, ICSI helps to ensure that fertilization happens, especially when male infertility is a factor.

So, question for my fellow bloggers who have undergone IVF, whether personally or through a friend or family member? What is your experience with ICSI? Is it worth the extra $1,600? I'd love to hear any feedback you may have. :)

I plan on calling Dr. Weckstein tomorrow for some guidance. I've been in contact with the IVF nurse a lot, but I really need to touch base with him. His suggestion for treatment is a single IVF cycle. Aaron and I went into this thinking we'd do the discounted 4-cycle treatment program, but Dr. Weckstein is apparently confident that we'll get pregnant this first shot. I mean, it's such a gamble. 60/40 or even 50/50! It's hard to drop $10,000 (plus the thousands in medication) on such a gamble! But, Dr. Weckstein is the best of the best, so I'm going to trust his judgment.

Plus, as an alternate plan, if we don't get pregnant with the first IVF, we could always do a FET (frozen embryo transfer) in which we'd transfer some of our frozen embryos, assuming we have embryos to freeze. This procedure is a mere fraction of the cost of a full medicated IVF cycle, so this is a good alternate plan, right?

To all my IVF bloggers, as I'm trying to sort out my thoughts, I'd love to hear about your personal experiences and insight. Thank you so much!!! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no insight into this area at all, but I will be praying for the wisdom and answers that you need. I am so excited for you.

Nic said...

Not being negative at all, but my doc was certain we would get pregnant first time with IVF and we didn't. Not to say you won't, but sadly there is no certainty. We thankfully had two to freeze so can do a FET but that was touch and go. Not everyone has some to freeze.
Wow, I'm being a downer, sorry that was not my intention, just letting you know how things were for me.
Good luck in what ever you decide!
X

Life Happens said...

We did 3 cycles of IVF, the first one was without ICSI and it was successful (but ended in miscarriage), the second cycle was with ICSI, but it didn't work, and the third cycle was ICSI (with Lovenox) and I will be 14 wks tomorrow. And we never had any left over to freeze.

It's such a hard decision when it costs so much to do these cycles. I pray that you will be able to make the best decision for your family.

Michelle said...

We wanted to do the multi-cycle program. And it was a very good price but, we just couldn't come up with 26k for the program plus meds & anthesthia.
We decided on one cycle b/c it's what we could afford. We feel confident that this will work and if not we will have some frozen embabies for use later.

waiting and wishing said...

I don't have any insight for you, but I just wanted to stop by and say I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! What a blessing that all of your testing came back normal and that you guys are on your way to starting an IVF cycle! Doesn't it feel so good to have a plan?

Rach said...

We had no choice but to do ICSI, but our clinic said it's pretty much used exclusively.

My husband wasn't too excited about spending $15K for a 50/50 chance. He said those were not good betting odds. But, he finally did agree. The clinic also told us that only about 50% have embryos to freeze.

It’s a scary process, but I just felt we needed to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey,
I stumbled over your blog today and I just had to tell you I'm enjoying your blog. I'm infertile, with PCOS. I know its hard, but I understand. Your awesome for staying strong and not giving up. I became a follower and I'm looking forward to keeping up and leaving comments. I hope you will check out my blog, and become a follower. I have a button, and I'd like to add you to my blog roll. I hope you have a lovely weekend. God Bless You and Yours

http://diaryofhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

Love,
Jess

H said...

I'm so happy and excited for you Bobbi. That is so great that the testing came back positive, and that you are even closer to this dream coming true! Love you guys!

<3 Holli