Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Big Overlook with PIO

Yesterday marked the first day of my progesterone treatment. On top of the infamous PIO shot (click HERE to re-witness this shot!), I also have vaginal inserts to insert up my you-know-what twice a day. Fun stuff.

The inserts were pretty uneventful, but the shot! Oh man! Maybe it's because I haven't done any shots this cycle like last time (with the smaller Lurpon. Follistim and Menopur shots) to lead up to this bad boy, but the first go-in wasn't fun.

Aaron prepped the needle and sucked up 50mg of the Progesterone in Oil, I iced myself, we did the deed and both let out a sigh of relief thinking we were done for the night!

Well, and this is very embarrassing to admit, I was looking through my paperwork again while Aaron was rubbing the injection site and it read "50 mg = 1 cc." It took a second for me to realize that I told Aaron to fill up the syringe 1/2 cc.

In my confused little mind, I thought 1/2 cc = 50 mg because I thought 1cc = 100 mg.

So yes, you know what this means. Aaron had to give me another shot of 1/2 cc of PIO to equal the full prescribed 50 mg amount. I seriously wanted to cry. For Aaron's safety, thankfully it was my overlook and not his. (Just kidding, but seriously!)

I'm glad I caught that, though, because I could've easily gone the whole week only injecting myself with 1/2 cc (25 mg) of PIO, which clearly would not have been enough progesterone to hold a viable pregnancy.

Big overlook, but thankfully I caught it! Hopefully I'm not unknowingly messing up my other dosages. :)

11 comments:

Brave IVF Girl said...

Ouch! I haven't used progesterone in oil (I get progesterone in ethyl oleate which is thinner and lets me use a 22g needles) -- can you ice beforehand? (I know the heat afterwards is the same -- I use one of those neck rolls you microwave and it works like a charm). I also use alcohol wipes that have benzocaine in them, which helps a bit.

Glad you caught the dosage right after the shot!

FX!

Nessa Lomiva said...

It's really good that you caught that, but what I really don't understand is why all of you are administering the shots yourselves? You've got a strange medical system, for sure.

During my second pregnancy I had to receive progesterone shots, and I went to the hospital every third day so that the nurse could administer it.

It's interesting for me to notice these subtle differences between health care systems.

DandelionBreeze said...

Great that you picked it up... but not so good that you needed to do another injection :( Ouch :(( xo

Anonymous said...

oh no!!!TWO shots!! YIKES! good catch though :)

Kristen said...

OUCH! Two shots does not sound any fun at all! Good thing you caught it though!

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

Oh No - we have had a mishap like that before...not fun! Glad you caught it though!

Jessica White said...

Yikes! Glad you figured out so quickly though!

Mrs BabyDream said...

Hey Bobbi - getting close to transfer now- how u feeling?

Crossing My Fingers said...

Ugh...I hate messing up like that. I shot myself twice on accident during our IVF. Glad you survived, one down!

Mrs BabyDream said...

I'm also a nervous wreck!!! I just want it to work so badly!! We're nearly there!!!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

That stinks you had two shots..but thank GOD you noticed it the first day! I cant believe your transfer is Friday! Rest up this weekend and be sure to post that positive test asap. :)