Friday, January 14, 2011

Bad Experiences Gone Worse

I do not like going to the dentist, but usually it's not such a horrible experience. I walk out with sore gums, squeaky clean teeth and a no cavity report.

This week's appointment, however, was different.

Even though it ended the same with the sore gums, squeaky clean teeth and a no cavity report, I left with a sinking heart.

While laying there with my mouth gaped open at the dental hygienist's disposal, I heard two women in the next room, only separated by a 3/4 wall, discussing their pregnancies. I couldn't understand how a patient could talk so much, considering she should be getting her teeth cleaned, but nonetheless, almost the entire time I was there, they were talking.

One was having a girl.

The other a boy.

The one pregnant with a girl has a 2-year old daughter at home.

The boy is the other woman's first child. She and her new husband were "not trying, but not not trying," and bata boom bata bing. Pregnancy!

They talked about all areas of their pregnancies and I had the privilege to lay there with no means of deafening the joyful conversation between the two women.

While my sensitive teeth were being sprayed with cold water, I was forced to listen to them.

And then today, I had an appointment with my optometrist. I brought Ella with me, and I don't know why people insist on asking if she's my only one, but they do! I don't know why! Perhaps it's a normal question to ask, but I'm just ultra sensitive to it. In any case, I just do a quick, "Yup" response in hopes that they'd drop it.

Anyway, Ella grew fond of the assistant helping me. She started talking about her daughter who did things similar to Ella, so, of course, I asked how old she was. She said, "Oh, well. I have a 2-year old and 8-month old twin girls too."

And, then, like any proud mama would do, she begins talking to me about her three girls. A lot.

She then left Ella and me alone to wait for the optometrist, who shortly came in and performed the eye exam. After the exam, she started talking with Ella and proceeded to ask, "Is she your only one?"

I'm seriously going to start wearing a shirt when I go in public that reads, "Ask if Ella's my only child and it might be the last question you ever ask!" Okay, I'm not violent, but sometimes, screaming does feel like an appropriate release for me.

So, of course, I said, "Yes. She's it!"

Then, my optometrist starts talking about her 2-year old twins.

To both the assistant and optometrist I wanted to say, "Yeah, I was pregnant with twins, but I lost them," but instead, I smiled with my freshly cleaned teeth and acted like I was completely interested and not at all suffering from a broken infertile heart.

9 comments:

Momma Bee said...

Awh!!
You will soon be saying Nope, we'll be having another, possibly twins!
I know its hard.
But at least you have one.
The worst is when people remind you that you aren't getting any older and you should start trying soon. Makes me want to scream, "WE ARE! And we are having some issues!!! But thank you for pointing that out!!!!"

I have faith that 2011 is your year. You precious Ella will be in Kindergarten and you will be as round as a beautiful glowing grape!! (do grapes glow? - sorry it's late..)

Your in my thoughts!!! Stay strong, love!

nicarv said...

What a horrible day. I am so sorry. We are in the same position with one beautiful child and a failed FET and IVF this last year. Glad you can talk about it and vent here on your blog. It is nice to have a place to share all those hurts, instead of yelling at people in public who can make absolutely oblivious annoying comments! I too am hoping that you will soon be able to say "No" to that "Do you just have one?" question. Press on.

Nessa Lomiva said...

I think telling them that you lost your twins was exactly what you should've done. Being honest with people is my new policy. When someone asks me "when I'm going to have a baby", or "why I'm not pregnant yet", I try to relay to them, very matter-of-factly that I'm reproductively challenged. The key is not being rude when you say it. You'll see how their attitudes change in an instant, and I bet they think twice before asking that question again.

So, the next time someone asks you whether Ella is your only one, my suggestion is that you answer: "Yes, but not because I don't want any, but because I haven't been able to conceive again."
Turning the tables is very liberating, fun even.

Good luck to you hun.

Kim said...

I have to agree with Jelena, I have been honest with people who ask if or when we are having children. Why should we have to grin and bear it ? If they asked, then they deserve the truth even if it makes them uncomfortable and maybe they will reconsider asking others the same question. I'm sorry you had such a hard day. My FB page and new office diggs are over flowing with baby announcements and bumps right now, so I know how hard this can be while we are waiting our turn.

Amy said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Not fun, and can ruin your day. I'm so tired of it being such a sin to just have one. When you order your shirt, can you order me one, too? :)

Unknown said...

I hate the dentist. Everytime they ask me if I have children. Do you think they do that to every man who comes in too? Then I have to sit there and look at all the framed pictures of the dentists kids. Also, each year when I get my x-rays at the dentist they ask if I could be pregnant. I have PCOS, so usually I'm on cycle day 60 or something...so yeah I could be pregnant, but it would be a miracle.

kim_brough said...

I'd make a silly answer. That's what I do when people ask "Well then, what's wrong with you?" after they find out I'm single. I've said anything from "I'm just plain not nice" to "It's really hard to date when you're HIV positive". It shuts people up and often they apologize for asking. Maybe you could say "The state keeps trying to take the one I've got!" Ha.

But in all seriousness, I know how those days are. I had a mini breakdown after realizing I was the ONLY non coupled person in a resteraunt about a week ago. Days like that bite, and I hope you feel better soon. My new mantra is "focus on the positive!"

waiting and wishing said...

All I have for you today is commiseration... infertility SUCKS!

Christina said...

I think it's interesting that both your optometrist and her assistant have twins. What are the chances? I wouldn't be surprised if both of them had to go through fertility treatments to have their twins. Maybe they're more on the same page with you than you realize?