With Ella's tuition statement this month was a little flyer regarding kindergarten registration. I was not expecting that. If we choose to continue forking out the hundreds of dollars each month for Ella's privae education, we need to register her before March 31st.
If we choose to go the public school route, I have no idea when to register, but I'm sure it's pretty soon!
But, that is not what I'm wanting to write about.
If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ella going to kindergarten next year was the right move, I think I'd be more willing to accept this giant step.
But, really, I have doubt. And a lot of it.
Ella's birthday is in late September, and in most states, she would not make the cut-off to begin kindergarten for the 2011/2012 school year.
But good ol' California's cut off date is currently set for December 3rd! Yes, you heard right. Some kids could technically be 4 years old for the first three months of their kindergarten education. That is just too young!
And, it seems California lawmakers finally see that the cut-off date is too late because beginning the 2012/2013 (knock on wood), the cutoff date will move up one month each consecutive school year, until it reaches September 1st, where it will then sit with the majority of other state's cutoff dates. (Of course, all of this may not even happen because we all know how the government works sometimes. No offense.).
So, I'm stumped.
I've been asking myself questions, trying to figure out why I don't feel she's ready.
First, so much is asked of kindergarteners these days. And, there have been many articles and research suggesting that kids going into kindergarten at 4 years of age are substantially not as mature nor ready to undertake all the kindergarten milestones. Teachers notice the difference in the younger kids from the older kids.
Granted, Ella would only be 4 years old for a little over a month (school usually starts mid-August here). It still is something that concerns me.
But, I also have to consider that Ella went to a 3-year old "preschool" last year and is in a regular preschool setting this year, so she's had the exposure to tons more than kids that stay at home until they go to preschool or kindergarten.
Second, I don't want money to be the underlying decision maker. Preschool is expensive. Very expensive. Right now, we are paying $434/month for Ella to be in school from 8:00 to 1:00 every weekday. Yikes, right?
If we enroll her in, what is called, the K-4 program through Turlock Christian next year, her tuition will run the same amount. The K-4 program is for older 4-year old kids (like what Ella will be) that are not quite ready to go into kindergarten.
If we go that route, we will continue to fork out $434/month that could potentially go towards infertility treatment.
However, I can't and I won't put what is best for Ella second to infertility treatment. Ella deserves the absolute best, and even though I'm her mom and, as such, should be able to know what's best for Ella, I still don't know what to do!
I don't want my decision to come from the place of denying that my little girl is growing up. Especially with the inability to conceive a second child weighing heavily on my heart, I know that I'm holding onto whatever "baby" I can get from Ella. I don't want her to grow up. I want her to be my little girl forever.
Is that the underlying reason I'm so uncertain about enrolling her in kindergarten? I don't know. Am I being selfish to prolong Ella's education because I'm so unwilling to accept that she is, in fact, ready, but that I just am choosing not to see it?
I'm sure most parents can admittedly say they weren't ready for their kids to go to kindergarten, but it has to be done. And, if Ella was a little bit older, this debate would be mute - she'd be going to kindergarten without question. But she's just young enough to wonder what is best.
I keep praying to God to give me knowledge and peace as Aaron and I make this decision. We plan on speaking with Ella's teacher to get the opinion of someone with 20+ years experience. Hopefully that'll provide us some insight that we need to make the best decision.
I don't know what I'm hoping to come from writing this post, but I would LOVE any and all feedback from anybody who is willing to share. :)
Thanks for listening to me lay out my thoughts!
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
As a teacher I say trust your gut!! If I were to give you any advice it would be think about the kinder program she would be in. Is it half day or full day? Most often I find that it is the full day programs that younger kids have a harder time adjusting to.
I'm sure you will make the right choice for Ella and for your family!
Hi Bobbi, I say that if you are having that many doubts then they are there for a reason. If your whole heart is not in it then don't send her yet! I know that its soo hard as a parent when you feel like one small yes or no decision impacts the rest of their little lives! You sound like a great mom and I'm sure you'll pick the best road for your daughter!
HI! I'm a long time reader, but never commented before! My daughter is five, and she will be my baby forever (I can't have more children) I too, agonized over whether to send her to kindergarten this year- she seemed so little and not ready. After lots of thought, we did decide to send her - and she is thriving! I think, in my case, it was me not wanting her to grow up! I just wanted you to know, I've been there - and I'm sure whatever you choose will be best for her!
I would keep her back a year: Just my opinion. Here in NY it's December 3rd...thus why Matt (Dec 8) was actually the grade behind me in school.
I, too, and a September baby and started school in August and then turned 5 in September. I've always loved being one of the younger ones in my class (well, before I became an "adult" and we don't have classes anymore- ha!) and never wished for one second that my parents would have held me back!
Post a Comment