Saturday, January 8, 2011

I already knew, but hearing it still hurts

Deep down I knew the truth, but actually hearing Dr. Weckstein say the words brought the truth to another level.

The truth hurts.

A lot.

He said Aaron and I have a slim to no chance of conceiving naturally on our own.

I mean, I already knew that. But, I hadn't actually heard the words...out loud. I thought it. I felt it to be true. But, I still wanted to hold onto that very small chance that we'd have another miracle baby.

He then went on to explain Aaron's sperm quality. His exact words were, "His sperm is really not good."

I'd rather have him be straightforward with me, than to sugarcoat the truth, but it still hurts to hear the truth.

So, I cried. A lot.

And without Aaron there, I felt like a sobbing fool sitting in Dr. Weckstein's office office, awkwardly trying to control my tears, but unable to do so. Dr. Weckstein just kept saying, "I know, Bobbi. I know."

Do you really know, Dr. Weckstein? You do hundreds of IVFs every year and, to you, I'm likely just another statistic either in your favor or not. Another notch on his belt.

Okay, who am I kidding? I know he cares. He wouldn't be in the infertility business if he didn't want to help couples conceive, who would not otherwise be able to. He has a big heart. His warm eyes show that he cares.

Okay, back to Aaron's sperm...

As you know, Aaron had an extensive, very detailed semen analysis (SA) done a few months ago as standard pre-IVF protocol. You know, cross everything off the checklist before spending thousands of dollars that could possibly be unnecessary.

Anyway, that SA showed an amazing count, borderline motility (movement) and 99% abnormal morphology.

The day of my egg retrieval was also the day of Aaron's "relieval" (get it???). Another SA was performed on this sample, too, and it showed a count of 175 million (holy cow!), a motility of 10% less than the previous sample (sigh) and, again, 99% morphology.

Dr. Weckstein said the fact that the morphology was still 99% with this SA shows just how bad Aaron's sperm is. Why, you might ask?

Apparently, during the first SA, a dye is put on the sperm as a means to determine a very accurate morphology examination. This second SA did not use that dye because that kills the sperm, but his morphology still showed 99% abnormality.

But, still...1% of 175 million is what? 1.75 MILLION!!! Aaron has 1.75 million GOOD sperm during any given day. And, as the saying goes...it only takes one.

The bad ruin it for the good, though, and the fact that his guys aren't moving like they are supposed to throws in a whole other factor altogether.

So, even though Dr. Weckstein believes we have no chance of conceiving on our own, we're still going to try.

In fact, I'm ovulating today. And, deep down, I don't know how to not try, even with an impossible outcome, because when you want something so bad, you're willing to attempt even the impossible.

9 comments:

Jess said...

{{Bobbi}} I am so sorry. Hearing the words do make it real. Praying for both of you!

Kim said...

I so know that feeling, we were told 1-2% chance per cycle on our own, but for some reason I have to give it 110% every single cycle, because as much as they know, they dont know. And if it's your time/turn for a miracle, nothing is going to get in the way of that. I'm sorry you had to the hear the words, I know how disheartening they can be. Hugs Bobbi. xxoxoxoxox

Andrea said...

I just stumbled across your blog and my heart hurts for you. It's never easy to hear the words, even if we already know. I too am hoping and praying that someday I'm able to conceive, and I truly wish that for you as well.

waiting and wishing said...

I hate that you are going through this, and my heart hurts for you. Keep trying! God gave you Ella against the odds- he can do some pretty big and amazing things! Hugs to ya!

Rach said...

I know its hard to hear that. Imagine being told he has zero sperm. So, I know the feeling. Anything is possible, you have Ella as proof! Hang in there! When is the FET with your 2 perfect beautiful blasts?

Crossing My Fingers said...

This is like reading my own blog...bad morphology, trying for our 2% chance each month...sigh, it sucks and I'm so sorry you're going through it. Your doc sounds great though, I mean when I was sobbing in Dr. Val's office, her response was, "Now why are you crying?" Praying for you Bobbi!

Jessica White said...

*hugs* Sweetie....hearing those words are devastatingly difficult. I know, for myself, I've never heard them from someone other than my husband. Hearing them from a doctor without your husband there...I can only imagine.

"For with God nothing shall be impossible" Luke 1:37

Keep hope and trying for the impossible, in whatever ways that may be: There is some sperm and you do have Ella and those tot-sicles...God is bigger than this.

Lifting you and Aaron up in prayer *hugs*

Jen said...

My heart is heavy for you Bobbi...I wish there was something to say to take the hurt away but I know that isn't possible. Know that my thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Bobbi. God is in the miracle business and nothing is impossible with Him. He gave you Ella as proof of that. Keep believing for your miracle.