Sunday, January 9, 2011

What We'll Do Differently with our FET

If a couple's first IVF cycle doesn't work, it can be seen as trial by error opportunity. The RE is given the chance to analyze the failed cycle, solve any possible problems that might've risen and make any necessary changes that might result in a positive outcome the second time around.

And that is exactly how I am viewing things right now.

After meeting with Dr. Weckstein on Friday, and despite being told that we won't be able to conceive naturally on our own, I left the appointment feeling better than going in, simply for the fact that Dr. Weckstein reassured me on things that, quite frankly, I needed reassurance on.

The day of the transfer, my uterine lining was measured at 8.4. And even though any number above 8 is good, Dr. Weckstein would like to see a thicker uterine lining for our FET. 8.4 is considered a touch on the thin side. The thicker the uterine lining, the better it is for implantation. Makes sense.

So, instead of one Estrace (estrogen) tablet twice a day, as I did with our fresh IVF cycle, Dr. Weckstein is going to have me take two Estrace tablets twice a day, and then insert one vaginally. Sounds weird, I know, but somehow it absorbs right into my uterus that way.

Also, during my uterine sounding, Dr. Weckstein was able to go right through my cervix. No second tries, no complications...just a smooth entry. Nothing like when I had the actual transfer done. The reason being is because my bladder was not full!

During a transfer, the RE typically likes the bladder to be full because it's easier for them to see the uterus during the sonogram, but Dr. Weckstein thinks it'd be best for me to not have such a full bladder with our FET. And trust me, I'd prefer that! It's so uncomfortable holding in a full bladder while being "worked on" down there.

So, changes will be made for our upcoming FET, and hopefully these changes will make the difference needed to bring us our baby(ies).

But, before jumping into our FET, which Dr. Weckstein said we could do as soon as this next cycle (once I start my period), I am still working on making positive changes spiritually, physically and mentally. Because, right now, I'm not strong enough to fight through another negative result.

9 comments:

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Bobbi-I really hope those two tiny changes make the BIG change for you guys. Ive been thinking of you often and feeling your pain.

I look forward to supporting you, whenever you decide to move forward. Never forget what a strong woman and Mom you are!

waiting and wishing said...

I bet it feels good to know there are things to change for the next time around. I admire how real you've been through this entire process. Thanks for sharing your story!

Cori said...

Great to hear there are some little changes that may help you out in a big way. Sounds like an awesome plan. I will be thinking of you as you work on making those positive changes. I am in a very similar state of mind and have to keep reminding myself to STAY POSITIVE :)

Kim said...

I am so happy you have a game plan for the FET. Although we didnt do an IVF cycle, I think doing injections for our IUI gave the doctors an idea of what they will be dealing with for IVF and make some changes based on that.

I love the preparation phase, it's hard being patient but it's exciting having goals and something to look forward to. Something so life changing!

Anonymous said...

I really admire how 'real' you are. It is so obvious to me in your posts that you are a strong women and that that strenght comes from God.
I am sure it is good to hear that there are changes for your FET. You truly are in my prayers.
I plan to follow your journey.... but please do not feel like you need to follow my blog. I do not want to bring you pain in any way.

Rach said...

Glad you are taking some time off until you feel ready.

We are waiting until the summer so Jonathan can settle into his new job. I also want to work on myself a bit before we jump back in. Maybe take a vacation in May.

Good luck to you friend!!

Ashley said...

Thank you for visiting my blog! I'm really praying for you and your sweet family. Take care. Ashley

Life Happens said...

So happy you have a plan for the next cycle. I hope you can take the time you need to prepare spiritually, physically and mentally.

Keeping you in my prayers!!

Crossing My Fingers said...

OMG! This sounds more and more like my IVF story! I had a full bladder too that was HORRIBLE!!! I'm really hoping this works for you.