Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Infertility: A to Z

I've seen this infertility questionnaire floating around some blogs I'm following and thought it'd be a fun way for ya'll to learn more about our journey through infertility.

(Photo courtesy of Google Images).

A.  Age when you started TTC (trying to conceive): 25 years and 2 months. (Wow, that sounds so young!).

B.  Baby dancing or sex: Ummm...what???

C.  Children wanted: I always wanted 4 kids, but Aaron liked the idea of 2 kids, so we "compromised" on 3 kids. However, with all we had to go through to have our second child, I'm thinking Aaron might get his way.

D.  Dogs/cats/fill in children: 2 dogs - a black lab mix and a pug. :)

E.  Essential oils/vitamins/snake oils: Snake oils? Huh? I take 2 fish oil vitamins a day, 1 flaxseed oil vitamin in the morning, and 1 prenatal vitamin in the morning.

F.  Fertility meds. I've taken: Clomid, Lupron, Follistim, Menopur. I think that's it.

G.  Gain: Lord, have mercy! Since trying to conceive, I gained back all the weight I had lost, which is roughly 20 to 25 pounds. The last 5 pounds were from all the fertility drugs being pumped in my body. However, on the bright side, I only weighed 10 pounds more when I conceived our second child than when I conceived Ella. That makes it sound not as bad. :)

H.  HSG (Hystosalpingogram): Both tubes are clear!

I.  Infertile pet peeves: I try not to judge other people's comments because I believe their intention never is to hurt. They just don't know what to say because they haven't gone through it. But, trust me, there were lots of times where comments were made that had my blood boiling.

J.  Job title: Paralegal. (How is this infertility related?).

K.  Kids' names you’re afraid will be taken by the time you can use them: Aaron and I have a name picked out for if its a boy and a few in mind for if its a girl. And, hey, if somebody else uses it, oh well! I've waited too long to use a back up name! :)

L.  Length of time TTC (trying to conceive): A little over 2-1/2 years. Yikes.

M. Miscarriages:  None. And I'm praying everyday that doesn't change.

N.  Number of times you’ve switched OB-GYNs or REs: I'm looking to switch to a new OB-GYN now that I'm pregnant (not a big fan of my old office - they were not a very supportive team when I was trying to conceive). And, I only met one RE. After I met him, I knew I didn't need to look anywhere else.

O.  Ovarian quality: Good!

P.  POAS (pee on a stick) or wait for period: When I first started trying to conceive, I'd POAS every month. After a few months of that, I stopped wasting money on those tests. In fact, I don't think I had any home pregnancy tests in my house for like 1-1/2 years. I didn't POAS with my first IVF, but for some reason, I did with my FET. I don't know where that push came from, but I'm glad I did. It put me out of misery for 5 days before my Beta!

Q.  Quote from an obnoxious fertile: Complaints about their kids (on Facebook, sometimes). It's hard to read that because I know a ton of infertile women who would (and do!) give anything for that.

S.  Sperm: Aaron has lots of them...170 million with his last semen analysis. His morphology, on the other hand, is no bueno, with 99% being abnormal. His motility is also borderline.

T.  Time you tried naturally: We tried naturally for 1 year, then I did a few months on Clomid (with mid-cycle sonogram monitoring), had an HSG done, had a laparosocpy, hysteroscopy and D&C done, tried naturally a few more months until we met with our RE after about 2 years of trying to conceive. After Aaron's sperm quality was discovered, it was rock and roll time and we moved onto testing, etc. for IVF and then our FET.

U.  Uterus quality: Good!

V.  Vagina: What does this have to do with infertility? I'm a girl. I have one. Yes.

W.  What baby stuff do you still have? A buttload of baby girl clothes. Baby girl bedding (from Ella). We kept Ella's old highchair, pack-n-play, crib, jumper, swing, etc. but a few of those things are going to be replaced because Ella used the heck out of them. :)

X. X-tra X-tra...hear all about it! How many people know the ins and outs of our crazy TTC journey? A select few know everything. But, my blog really opened my journey up to everybody. :)

Y. Yearly exam (do you still go in even though someone sees your lady parts most months?): I needed to go a few months ago for my annual papsmear, so I'm sure my new OB-GYN is going to perform one of those after he hears that. :)

Z. Zits: Surprisingly, I haven't gotten much during this pregnancy. (I hope I didn't just jinx that!).

4 comments:

Hillary said...

Ok the V one totally made me laugh this morning! :)

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Im so glad you can close this infertility chapter and move on with your pregnancy. SO happy for you.

Kristen said...

Infertility DOES suck! I'm glad you're done with it! :-)

Praying4ourMiracle said...

V is very funny, but it does matter! Weird I know, but some women have a "long" vagina and that means sperm have a farther rout to travel before reaching the cervix. Not that it matters anymore, Congrats on your pregnancy!!