However, Ella has a lot of me in her. Meaning, she's really quite reserved and shy in unfamiliar environments. She does the whole hide-behind-mommy's-leg thing. She holds her hands and sometimes she holds them up near her mouth and cowers her head down. It's just how you'd envision a shy little girl looking. It's really cute (and makes me feel really good that she finds so much comfort in me), but at the same time, I know what's best for her and I know encouraging her to try new things is important for her social skills and development.
But, during "last morning's" (as Ella says) church service, I had a self revelation! Here I am...wanting to encourage Ella to do something new without even considering to follow the very lesson I'm trying to teach her. I will lead Ella, but I won't following my own lead! I'm making my shy daughter branch out and try new things while her shy grown-up mommy can't do the same.
Well, after the church service and while Aaron was picking Ella up from Sunday School, I signed Ella up for Awanas and then told the director that I wanted to be a parent volunteer. I asked if she would need me, and she said, "Oh yes!" So, I will be a leader for one of the stations. Don't know which yet, but I'm excited to be doing this with Ella. I'm thrilled to be able to watch her interact with others and to be her source of comfort when overwhelmed or uncertain. And, I get to cross off #46 on my 101 in 1001 list!
Ella made this scroll during her Sunday School class. So hard to live by these words, but such a perfect goal to try to achieve day in and day out.
Today was "Crazy Hair Day" at Ella's school. The above scroll was wrapped with blue pipe cleaner, and when you combine blue pipe cleaner with "Crazy Hair Day," this is what you get! :)
On another note, Ella is officially writing her name!!! I can't believe it! (Notice her overly zealous letter "E").
I'm so proud of my Ella. :)




2 comments:
Your post was just what I needed today. I have been struggling lately with being so angry towards my partner (have no reason to be, just am). I have printed off your 'Love is patient, love is kind ...' quote to read to myself throughout the day as a reminder as to how I should be acting towards him. Thank you!
Our church is small and has only gotten smaller recently. I have always thought that the programs for children in the "larger" churches were wonderful!! Sometimes I weigh the pros and cons of a very small church but I know that God has us where we belong at the time.
Glad you and Ella are stepping out of your comfort zones. I'm trying to do the same. I'm taking smaller steps like sending cards to people who pop in my mind and things like that.
Hope all goes well for you both!!
Post a Comment