Saturday, August 7, 2010

Staying True to Myself

In life, there are situations or relationships that may jeopardize the person you wish to be. It's only natural that we are not presented with ideal circumstances and perfect relationships that bring out the best in us. Life isn't perfect after all!

In college, I was not strong in myself. I succumbed to peer pressure from every angle imaginable. I was lost in this world of trying to please others that I forgot what was most important...my happiness and staying true to myself. I jeopardized the person I wanted to be so that others would view me in a more favorable light. I acted in ways and said things that still to this day fill my heart with shame.

But now, being older (although you can't really call 27 that old!), I have learned about what I need to do to remain true to myself. I don't ever want to find myself doing or saying things that are not "Bobbi." Johnny Diaz puts it best in his song, "More Beautiful You," in which he sings the following chorus:

There could never be a more beautiful you.
Don't buy the lies, disguises and hoops, they make you jump through.
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do.
So there could never be a more beautiful you.


I'm the only me on this earth. Pretty cool concept to grasp, huh?

So, as I continue to walk through life, I will remember that God made me to fill a purpose and that, while learning about and living out that purpose, I need to remain true to myself and see the beauty in the person God created me to be.

No comments: