Instead of my egg being released naturally through ovulation and Aaron's sperm naturally finding the awaiting oocyte, the doctors and embryologists are taking care of all that in the lab. It's like a baby-making factory! Fertilization is occurring TODAY! Right this second, in fact! That makes me so excited! :)
There was an embryologist assistant in the operation room who, literally, took the eggs as they were retrieved, much like how a nurse is there waiting for the baby as he/she is delivered. Of course, I don't remember any of the retrieval. I just remember my nurse introducing me to everyone in the room who would be having a part in the procedure. After the introductions, I felt the anesthesia taking effect and before I knew it, 30 minutes had passed and I was back in the recovery area confused, emotional and incoherent.
I was told I was babbling in my sleep throughout the entire retrieval. I hope I didn't say anything bad! LOL!!!
After retrieval, I cried a lot and asked the same questions over and over again. Aaron just held my hand and helped me through such a vulnerable state. It didn't take long for me to regain my coherency and once the nurse felt I was at a point to be able to retain and understand information, she had Dr. Weckstein come in with the results.
Prior to the procedure, he told me he was hoping to retrieve 10 to 12 eggs, because if you remember, only 8 of my eggs were mature at my last sonogram a couple days ago.
Well, 19 eggs were retrieved!!! WOO HOO!!! :)
Dr. Weckstein told me that with that amount retrieved, he can almost guarantee a 5-day blastocyst transfer (which has proven to have better success rates than 3-day transfers). He also said, verbatim, "You have the highest chance of success that I can give anybody."
I'll take it!
Today, I will start a new routine of medication. Dr. Weckstein wants me to take:
- 16mg of Medrol;
- 100mg of Doxycycline (twice a day);
- 2mg of Estrace (twice a day);
- 81mg of Aspirin and Prenatal Vitamin; and
- The dreaded Progesterone injection.
The nurse drew targets on each of my hips where Aaron has to inject me with the massive Progesterone needle. Or, he can pretend the needle is a dart and throw it at the target. :)
This needle is the mother of all needles. All my prior injections are a piece of cake compared to this monstrosity. And, to top it off, it takes a good 15 to 20 seconds to inject all of the medicine. NOT looking forward to this night after night, but it's a small price to pay for the end product.
8 comments:
Yay! Awesome news. Sit back and RELAX!!
Yay, what an exciting day for your family! 19 eggs, that is awesome. Rest up, it is almost time for you to have a couple of tiny babes put back in you to grow for 9 months!!!
I've been following your latest journey and wanted to say Congrats on the 19 eggs! That is great!! I hope the transfer and 2ww go well also and you get to announce your BFP!!
What a great update Bobbi, everything continues to flow beautifully! Happy Conception Day!!! Now rest rest rest!
Wow! 19 is such a great number! I hope you are feeling good and I can't wait to hear your fert report!
19 eggs- that is a great number! Congrats. I am so glad that we were able to connect via blogs and go through this together. Rest and take it easy- it is so exciting to think about the new lives being started:)
19 eggs...Good job girl! I can't wait to hear the update report. One step closer Bobbi!!
19 is great! Looking forward to hearing how they grow!
Post a Comment