Monday, December 6, 2010

Over Two Dozen Eggs

Today's sonogram revealed even more follicles!

I have 12 follicles on my right side (up from 11 at my last sonogram) and 9 follicles on my left side (up from 7 at my last sonogram). However, the ultrasound tech saw at least 4 follicles that were on the smaller end, like 8mm, that she didn't count.

So, she told me I have 21 follicles, not including those smaller ones, in total. Her words, "You've got at least a couple dozen eggs in there."

Woo hoo!!! :)

I need two of these bad boys to hold all my eggs! LOL!

Photo courtesy of Goggle Images.

However, of all those follicles, only 3 were mature. Meaning, only 3 of them were 16mm or bigger and would be ready for retrieval. Most of the follicles were 12mm to 15mm, almost to the point of maturity, but not quite there yet. And, if you remember, Dr. Weckstein wants a majority of my eggs 18mm or bigger.

My follicles looked somewhat like this picture depicts. Most have tripled in size since my first monitoring sonogram.

Photo courtesy of Google Images.

And, since I've been giving analogies comparing the size of my follicles on the screen to food (first, to chocolate M&Ms, then to peanut M&Ms), I figured I'd continue with that. :)

I will tell you that now, I have a vineyard in my ovaries. That's right! I've got clusters of grape-sized follicles ready for pickin' and baby-makin'.

Photo courtesy of Google Images.

So, where does that leave me?

In limbo!

I have another sonogram scheduled tomorrow morning, and Dr. Weckstein said he will decide on when to do the egg retrieval (either Thursday or Friday) based on the what he sees then.

He reassured me that "everything looks absolutely perfect." Ah, music to my ears!

He said my estrogen levels are really high, which is where he wants them to be, but that if he decides to delay the egg retrieval by a day, he doesn't really want to see it climb too much higher, so he would have to tinker with my dosage amounts.

In the meantime, he wants to keep me at the same dosages - 5 IU of Lupron, 150 IU of Follistm and 75 IU of Menopur - for tonight's injections. I was really hoping tonight would be the last time I see those shots, and it very well might be, but I won't know until tomorrow.

More waiting! I have to get used to this waiting game, though, because after the egg retrieval, it's a waiting game to find out the fertilization report, then to find out if I will have a Day 3 or Day 5 Transfer, and then the infamous two-week wait to find out if I'm pregnant.

But, as my mom has been kindly reminding me, "Take each day as it comes."

So, today, I am happy with the results. I have growing follicles and estrogen level, which is exactly where I need to be today. Tomorrow will hold it's own worries / successes / news, and until tomorrow comes, I will only focus on today. Sound advice that only a mom can give. :)

5 comments:

Kim said...

I am loving your reports and what a great responder you are! Mom gave great advice, one day at a time is the best, with the least amount of worries. I think when we get too far ahead of ourselves is when we start worrying more.

Keep up your positive attitude and spirits, you are doing awesome. Oh and the grape visual was great, but frightening to think you have all of that going on inside you! It's no wonder we feel it! xoxoxox

waiting and wishing said...

Grapes... and TWO DOZEN of them! So exciting! I can't wait to hear what tomorrow bringsl.

Anonymous said...

Your ovaries are doing awesome!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I"m so glad things are going well!!!

Rach said...

Yay! Good luck Thursday/Friday!