Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hi, my name is Bobbi, and I am a Research-oholic.

Reproductive Science Center of the SF Bay Area 
San Ramon, CA
Clinic Summary Report
Treatment TypeProcedure FrequencyDiagnosis Frequency
IVF100%ICSI90%Tubal factor0%Other factor0%
Ovulatory dysfunction0%Unknown factor0%
PGD3%Diminished ovarian reserve0%Multiple factors
Endometriosis0%Female only0%
Uterine factor0%Female and male0%
Select Year:Male factor100%
Total Cycles:1,053Select Diagnosis:
Data Verfied by: Louis N. Weckstein, MD  
Select Treatment Type:


Fresh Embryos From Non-Donor Oocytes<3535-3738-4041-42
Number of cycles4320298
Percentage of cycles resulting in pregnancies58.145.031.02 / 8
Percentage of cycles resulting in live births53.530.027.62 / 8
     (Reliability Range)(38.6 - 68.4)(9.9 - 50.1)(11.3 - 43.9)
Percentage of retrievals resulting in live births54.830.030.82 / 7
Percentage of transfers resulting in live births59.030.033.32 / 7
Percentage of cycles with elective single embryo transfer5.1000 / 7
Percentage of cancellations2.3010.31 / 8
Implantation rate40.724.520.011.5
Average number of embryos transferred2.12.42.33.7
Percentage of live births with twins34.81 / 60 / 81 / 2
Percentage of live births with triplets or more01 / 60 / 80 / 2
Current Clinic Services and Profile
Current Name:Reproductive Science Center of the SF Bay Area
Donor egg?YesGestational carriers?YesSART Member?Yes
Donor embryo?YesCryopreservation?YesVerified lab accreditation?Yes
Single Women?Yes



So, if you know me, you know much I love to do research. Aaron can't stand how I overanalyze and over question things, but that is how God made me, so I am choosing to embrace it, rather than deny it. :)

Since Aaron and I committed to IVF, I started researching things. Not just statistics, but just to understand the whole process better. If you go through the history of my Internet Explorer, you would see nothing but infertility-related searches (with an occasional Facebook and Blogger). :)

The Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies (SART) keeps a database of every ART clinic's success rates. The last year published is 2008, but since then, I know RSC's success rates have steadily increased. What I most like about the SART's publications is that it breaks down the success rates not only for each age group, but also for each infertility diagnosis, which, in our case, is male factor.

In 2008, RSC's success rate for male infertility was 59%. Not too shabby, right? Considering, RSC's overall success rate (for all infertility diagnoses in the >35 age group) was 46%. That means, in 2008, IVF was 13% more successful for couple's experiencing male infertility factor than the average of success rates for all infertility diagnoses combined. Make sense?

RSC Clinical Pregnancy Rates Jan - Sept 2010


Fresh IVF/ICSI cycles - Day 3 and Blastocysts Combined

Age of Women<3535-3738-4041-42
Egg Retrievals150949552
Transfers142899049
Clinical Pregnancies76444114
Pregnancy rate per transfer54%49%46%29%
Average # of embryos transferred1.92.12.53.5
Above are RSC's success rates for January to September of this year. As you can see, these success rates are for day 3 and blastocyst transfers combined. I fall in the 54% category, which is up from 2008's overall success rate of 46%. That's a whoppin' 8% difference in 2 years! It's amazing the progress ART is making each year!

However, if you account for our infertility diagnosis being male factor, and that resulting in a 13% higher success rate than the 2008 average, then, you would think that the 2010 success rate would follow a similar pattern.

Which, would then bring our estimated success rate to 67%, the higher end of the 60% to 65% success rate Dr. Weckstein has given us.

Okay, you following so far? On top of all that, Dr. Weckstein gave us a chart with a breakdown of RSC's 2008 statistics. It showed that 67.7% of all blastocyst transfers for >35 years of age resulted in pregnancy. That's really high! I can only imagine that it's a little higher a couple years later.

So, I guess what I'm trying to get at with all of this...is that the numbers are in our favor. Now, if only I can feel some relief in knowing that.

I went through so many ups and downs today. So many moments of complete confidence that I'm pregnant, that this is really happening. And then the opposite, with just as many moments where I freak out! scare myself into questioning if it worked. These darn cramps are really messing with my head!!!

At least I only have five more days of this insanity. Then, we will all know! And our success (or failure) will become one of RSC's numbers for this year's statistics.

But, to me, it'd be much more than a number.

2 comments:

waiting and wishing said...

Oh Bobbi you crack me up!! I'm praying this is it for you!

Lori B. said...

Good to know that I am not the only research-oholic out there! I've been looking at everything I can to learn more about IVF since we were told that is our next step too. Just keep staying positive and I hope to see your pregnancy post soon!!