Friday, December 24, 2010

We Beat the Odds

We had less of a chance of not getting pregnant, but we beat the odds. We're not pregnant.

I received the call from Dr. Weckstein about 12:30 this afternoon. "I'm so sorry, Bobbi, but I have bad news." The rest of the conversation was an emotional blur. I cried and listened. I got off the phone and just hugged Aaron, sobbing in each other's arms. I hadn't cried that hard since as long as I can remember. Hiccuping and hyperventilating almost to the point of throwing up.

Dr. Weckstein said he's positive 2011 will be our year. Little did he know that this will be the third year I've said that. My 2010 New Year's resolution was to get pregnant. I didn't come close. Not at all.

He went on to say that two of our three frozen embryos are better quality than the two we transferred this cycle. If you remember, this cycle we transferred 3AA and 5B-B- embryos. The ones we have frozen are graded 5AA (as good as it gets), 5BB- and 2AB.

I have an appointment on January 7th for what would've been our babies' first sonogram. We're keeping the appointment, but this time to discuss our failed IVF cycle and to talk about our game plan. He also wants to do a uterine sounding. Say what???

Well, what I failed to disclose about our transfer, is that Dr. Weckstein had a semi-difficult time getting to my uterus. One would think to just go straight up through the cervix and bada boom bada bing, there would be the uterus. With me, he had to go through many attempts. Over this. Under that. It was very strange. Who would've thought there'd be "obstructions."

Anyway, Dr. Weckstein wants to ensure a completely smooth transfer for our frozen embryo transfer (FET), so he's going to basically do a practice run with an empty catheter.

How am I feeling? Sooooooooo down, but Aaron's hand holding and constant glances of similar disappointment and pain, Sister's love pats, my brother-in-law Tim's reminder that they love us, Dad's tear-filled hug and Mom's optimistic hope for the future all helped me get through what I imagined would be the hardest day.

Today was hard. Very hard. But, at the end of the day, I have a beautiful family who proved to me today just how much I mean to them and how willing they are to be there for me.

From the moment I took one step into the door at my parents' house, my mom and Sister hugged me, cried with me, and allowed me to just crumble into their arms.

I then hugged my dad. I could feel him sobbing with me while hugging. I never realized how much my family is affected by this, how badly they want this for us, too.

Ella saw that I was crying and asked if I was okay. Knowing I needed to tell her the truth, I hugged her and looked into her big brown eyes, and had the following conversation with her.

"You know those babies we've been praying for? The babies in Mommy's tummy?"

"Yeah."

"Well, God decided that it's not our time to have those babies. God wants you to be our one and only child right now."

"Why?"

"I don't know why. Only God knows why this happened."

I didn't know if she really understood, but later on, she came up to me and said, "God doesn't want us to have the babies anymore." Seeing she was sad about it, I told her, "Just for right now. In a couple two days we will have the babies." ("Couple two days" is her way of referring to sometime in the future. Cute, huh?).

I have to keep telling myself that, too. In a couple two days, Aaron and I will be blessed with another baby. In a couple two days, God will reveal his beautiful plan for our lives. In a couple two days, all this pain and sadness will be no more and all we will feel is immeasurable joy.

In a couple two days.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh Bobbi, I'm so sorry. I wish I had better words to say, but I'm heartbroken for you and your family. I'm so glad you had your entire family to lean on today and be there to support you and Aaron! Have faith, which I know you do, those frozen embies are just waiting and they're perfect and beautiful. Sending many prayers and hugs your way! Enjoy the magic of the day through Ella's eyes tomorrow morning! Merry Christmas friend!! Good things to come in 2011!

Barbara said...

Bobbi, I know how you feel, believe me. God knows everything, and everything happens for a reason. Just keep trusting in him and he will give you what your heart desires. I send you a hug and my support.
Just to let you know that you are not alone in this journey. I did my IVF at the same time as yours. On December 16, my beta was negative. My husband and I decided that we will try again in May. We will have that baby in 2011!!

Micha said...

Oh I am so sorry for you guys. *HUGS*

Momma Bee said...

I'm sending my hugs, well we both are!! Keep your head up love, stay strong! It's all in someone elses hands, as hard as that statement is to swallow. (I've yet to gulp it down myself)

We are sending our love, thoughts and comfort to you..

Enjoy tomorrow and the smiles and happiness that Ella brings to you and all around her. She is a gorgeous little girl and sounds like such a delight - you are blessed!!! Hugs to Aaron to for being such a strong hubby - Lord knows we wouldn't make it without their support and love!!!

HUGS, again!
Mrs. Sunnyside Up

Anonymous said...

I am so so sorry- my heart breaks for you and your husband. "A hope deferred makes the heart sick" I will be praying for Gods peace and comfort during this awful time. Take extra care of yourself.

Kim said...

Oh Bobbi I am so incredibly dissappointed and sad for you. What anamazing support system you have, your family really knew exactly what to do, just show you love. And yes, it's so surprising how invested they become in the process.....they want you to be happy, they know what a fantastic mother you are and how your heart yearns for another child, so your pain is their pain.

Your an amazing woman and I have nothing but high hopes for those little Penguins of yours and so happy you have them to give this a second try when your ready. Sending lots of love and hugs your way. xoxoxoxox

Jess said...

I am so very sorry. Praying for you and your hubby during this time. {{{HUGS}}}

Rach said...

I'm so sorry Bobbi. I know it's the worst feeling. I'm honestly shocked considering you had two beautiful blasts. I hope you have a good appt on the 7th. Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Brave IVF Girl said...

Sorry to hear that this one didn't work. *hugs*

Jessica White said...

Oh Bobbi, I'm so so sorry....I've been thinking about you guys and when I hadn't seen a post.....

Sending you addition thoughts and prayers! *hugs*

waiting and wishing said...

Oh Bobbi I am my heart hurts for you this evening as I get caught up on your posts from the last few days. I am so sorry things didn't work out as you had hoped. What a blessing that you have a great family to lean on.
I have high hopes for those frozen embies! Sending you and your family lots of thoughts and prayers!!

H said...

I am so sorry Bobbi.. I just wanted you to know that. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers regularly. It will happen, don't lose hope. You and Aaron are so deserving of that future baby... you are amazing parents, and God knows. He has perfect timing, and it will happen when it's the perfect time... but I sure do wish that time for you was now.

Lots of love,
Holli