My urine sample was covered, but there was a $10.00 handling fee. What??? I was charged $10.00 for them to "handle my pee." Interesting.
Aaron's blood work was covered, but there was a $25.00 fee. Hmmm, for what? Quest Diagnostics didn't charge us a fee to draw our blood and run the lab work.
Why nickel and dime us poor infertiles? Infertility clinics are in no way hurting for money!
Anyway, Aaron's semen analysis was not covered, which I have a hard time understanding. Aaron had a semen analysis done at Quest last year and it was fully covered as "infertility testing," but when I questioned the not-so-kind lady, she said that my insurance doesn't cover infertility. I told her that our insurance covers infertility testing and that his prior semen analysis was covered, but she said this one is an infertility-based semen analysis and much more extensive than his first and that it wouldn't be covered.
Isn't most, if not all, semen analyses done because they are infertility-based??? I don't think men have any other need to "provide a sample" than to see if their little guys are doing what they need to in order to make a baby.
Okay, $240 down the drain...that's not too bad.
But then I see my saline sonogram was not covered. A whoppin' $770! :( Once again, with a very shocked look on my face, I asked the increasingly irritated lady why that wasn't covered. She snottily responded, again, that my insurance doesn't cover infertility. Now I'm getting irritated, but remembering anger is a choice, I politely asked her isn't the saline sonogram testing to see if there are any polyps or fibroids in my uterine cavity, and isn't that testing a cause of my infertility and not treating my infertility.
She explained that a saline sonogram is always done prior to IVF and that it's basically a part of the IVF cycle, so the insurance will see it as treatment. I can understand that, but I still wanted to make sure because $770 is a lot of money to throw down without double checking. So, I asked if she could please bill our insurance anyway. She, of course, was not at all too thrilled with the request, but she said she'd look into it. You better believe I'll be following up! If not for the $770, but at least the $240! :)
In any case, we paid. I'm just praying for a reimbursement. After all, our insurance covered the initial consultation with Dr. Weckstein (which included an ultrasound), so why wouldn't they cover this? We really need that extra money for the IVF drugs.
Aaron was right when he said that this is just the beginning. The beginning of unknown expenses. The beginning of thousands of dollars being flushed down the toilet even before forking out the big ones for the actual IVF.
God always provides, though, so I give all of this to Him. I know if this is God's Will, He will make sure it happens.
As for results, my saline sonogram showed that my uterine cavity looks perfect.
We will find out Aaron's semen analysis by the end of this week and his blood work results in about ten days. So, until then, we anxiously await the results while deciding what month will it be (if all tests come back fine)???
November or December? Any suggestions? :)
8 comments:
Isn't it insane what they charge for stuff? I totally understand them needing to make money and all, and with my husband heading into the medical field eventually, I completely understand that they can't give everything away. BUT some of that is just ridiculous. And especially with people in your position. As if you're not already in enough pain, they've gotta squeeze every last penny out of you. And I am of the opinion that the people who work with billing and all that should be required to be cheerful. That would make the entire billing process so much easier.
Still hoping that this is just one of those things where you have to go see the doctor in order for it to "fix" itself. :)
As if the 'stress' of infertility wasn't enough, they add to it with charges, that they then throw in as technicalities so you can not claim them back through insurance - bah humbug! I really hope that your insurance company comes to the party. On a good note, I am glad that your uterine cavity looks perfect (now THAT is something I never thought I would ever say ... lol) Prayers for great test results!
I am so sorry. I know much too well how this feels, and it's horrible. My bills are beginning to come in from my latest surgery, and I want to throw up every time I get one. So not fair, but then again, life isn't fair all the time, is it? Praying and thinking of you!
It's insane how expensive it is. My saline sonogram took my entire infertility coverage. So aggravating!
You should def. submit these charges. My insurance does not cover anything related to IVF but it does cover all diagnostics including: ultrasound, b/w, semen analysis and HSG. You should call and fight this .. it's too much money to lose.
And the cost of all of this just adds insult to injury. Thinking of you.
Good for you for standing your ground and asking for the charges to be billed anyway. It certainly can't hurt anything! I think it is so unfortunate that infertility isn't more widely covered.
Praying that Aaron's tests come back with great news and that you get a return on some of the $$ you spent yesterday!
If you are suppressing before IVF you might automatically be in December. I was on three weeks of BCPs before starting stims. I would let the office know that you are interested in starting right away. The will get you a schedule! How exciting for you!
I would look into your insurance. I have to call and fight with them all the time. It's like a part time job but I'm usually right and they pay.
Most insurance covers "infertility diagnosis and testing" and all those tests you mentioned above should fall under that. If the initial consult was covered then I would think the rest should be as well.
I'm Nov/Dec too! Woohoo!!
Post a Comment